Help Setting up a Sub

H

HaydnF

Hi all. This is my first post to AVForums so be gentle. Sorry for the length..

Basically, I recently bought some speakers (M-Audio Studiophile AV30s for anybody that cares) solely for listening to music from my laptop. Yet more recently, I've been thinking about buying a sub to extend my aural pleasure. I have my mind set on the EPOS ELS since it seems to have decent reviews (from what I've been able to find, anyway) and a pretty low frequency response for the price, at 20hz.

I've gotta say, I'm new to this game and crossovers, amps, phase, high/low filters, octaves, db roll offs and the rest of it is giving me a bit of a headache. I understand them, but not brilliantly. Basically, what I want to know is, can I buy this sub and seamlessly integrate it with my existing speakers, without any extra hardware (amps/crossover)?

I read the sub manual (http://www.epos-acoustics.com/downloads/instructions/els_sub.pdf) but I'm still a bit confused.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I gather.. I don't need an amp (or do I?) or crossover, and I can just go right ahead and use a 3.55mm to 2x RCA cable to input sound from my laptop's headphone jack into the "high level inputs" on the sub (like I'm currently doing for the speakers), fiddle with the low and high filters and use another 2x RCA cable to 2x RCA cable from the "high level output" on the sub to the input on my speakers?

I'm just a bit concerned whether I'm missing something and I would end up blow the speakers/sub or just end up with a non-functioning set up. I feel stupid asking if I'm correct, but I'd feel even more stupid with a £200 ornament.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. I realise the headphone jack isn't a great quality output but it's what I got. Seems alright to me, a slight hum but its really not very noticeable.

ChrisAV

Hi, and welcome to AVforums.

I'm not familiar with this sub (or any for that matter), but looking at the manual I think the high level input/output you are referring to are speaker binding posts (the kind you connect the stripped end of a speaker cable to), not RCA connections. Normally they would be connected to the speaker connections on the back of the amp.

Chris

Alistair

My understanding is you can't use a sub in this way, but I am happy to be corrected.

For example, I have a Creative Labs 2.1 speaker setup connected to the Line Out on my Mac Pro. The Mac outputs the music to the subwoofer box, which in turn connects to the L and R speakers so I am guessing it has some kind of basic amp/crossover in it for distributing low frequency output to the sub.

IronGiant

I assume you are using active (ie amplified speakers) at the moment? In which case you should go from the headphone jack to the low level inputs on the sub and from the low level outputs on the sub to your speakers and all will be fine :)

Dave

H

HaydnF

I assume you are using active (ie amplified speakers) at the moment? In which case you should go from the headphone jack to the low level inputs on the sub and from the low level outputs on the sub to your speakers and all will be fine :)

Dave

Yeah they're active speakers. Thanks a lot. Looks like I was getting the general idea but missing some details.

Alistair, it sounds like our subs are almost identical in the way they function. I take it your comment was referring to subs not working from a headphone out to high level in?
The above clears up the high/low level error, and from what I've read elsewhere, it seems line out and headphone out are pretty much the same. Line out having slightly higher current but very similar voltage, or something like that.

Thanks guys, things are clearer now. I think I'll be ordering it come pay day. Hurrah!

Last edited by a moderator:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom