Help setting up a BK400

JamesP1701

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

Have just received delivery of my new BK XXLS400 sub and wonder if I could get a bit of help integrating it with the rest of my system.

My amp is a denon 2311. The speakers are B&W: 685 fronts, HTM 63 centre and DS3 rears.

I have attached the sub via the SW output on the amp into the low level input on the sub. What frequency should I set the sub to? (Don't really understand how that works!) Presumably the gain knob I need to control is just the low level one?

Oh, and should I re run audyssey?

There is lot's of info on this in the 400 and Monolith thread however essentially you;
  • Turn frequency control to Max , or just past so it switches out
  • Turn Gain to 11/12 o clock position
  • Phase control at 0
  • Set all front speakers to small (LCR)
  • Run Audysey
  • Physically check Audysey linear measurements
  • and run SPL checks if you wish
  • then enjoy

So set phase to 0 frequency gain to 120hz filter to out/lfe and low level gain to the 11oclock position.......then go into your amp and make sure you have the sub turned to enabled and start with the xover at 80hz then a 100hz and then a 120hz and see which one sounds the best to you.......try all your speakers to small unless you have full range floorstander.:).....yes then run Oudyssey

Oops you beat me to it Dave:D

Last edited:
Thanks for your help. It's a lovely sub and have set it up now. But...I can't tell any difference at all from my old Mordaunt short 903i!

Thanks for your help. It's a lovely sub and have set it up now. But...I can't tell any difference at all from my old Mordaunt short 903i!

Give it at least a few weeks to `loosen` up - then report back. I bet you`ll notice the difference then.

I thought that too james, after coming from a 309 myself. I thought it was not as good at first,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Then I saw the light so to speak, no boom boom, but a nicer tighter cleaner bass

Steve

Watching this with interest. Considering the XXLS400 myself. Please keep us posted with your findings :smashin:

mfife said:
Oh really? Have you tried playing a movie clip with lots of bass in it, really quite loud? Like -7db?

Sadly I can't get away with anywhere near the volume where I live.

I can hear a difference, perhaps not quite the scale I was expecting but there is certainly more precision in the bass.

Meant to add, this is the spec of my 685s from b&w site:

Frequency range -6dB at 42Hz and 50kHz
Frequency response 49Hz - 22kHz ±3dB on reference axis

What should the correct crossover be? I can't really tell a difference between different settings. Probably my ears aren't sensitive enough!

If you have an av receiver try 80hz and 100hz and see which sounds best to your ears. If you have small surrounds you may wish to set their crossover to 120hz.

Thank you.

Finally, what does the lpf of lfe option in my amp do? It's currently set to 120hz-is this correct? I'm slightly confused which frequency produces which sound. Is 150hz the bass sounds or is say 40 hz the bass sounds?

Thank you.

Finally, what does the lpf of lfe option in my amp do? It's currently set to 120hz-is this correct? I'm slightly confused which frequency produces which sound. Is 150hz the bass sounds or is say 40 hz the bass sounds?

The lfe channel contains sound upto 120hz. Leave it as it is if it set this way for now.

Dont think of the sub being the only speaker to produce bass, all of the speakers will but the crossovers just help make them all work together. Most would define 150hz as bass and 40hz more so for your info.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom