Question Help setting up 5.1 in new house

Petay

Established Member
Reaction score
moving house has freed up some funds (the irony) meaning I can build out a 5.1 set up but I need some input on if my layout and equipment choice works in the room.

my existing HIFI equipment that will be the foundation

Roksan K3 Integrated Stereo Amp
Kef Q550
Rel T5i

I am planning to acquire the following for the 5.1 set up

Yamaha RXV6A
Kef Q250 C
Monitor Audio Radius 45 for surround sound

The diagram shows my proposed layout and its about all I can do with the room as putting the TV in the bay is a no no for the missus.

The TV will be wall mounted on the chimney breast and I am making up a mantle / shelf to go underneath to take the Q250C centre speaker.

The little MA radius will be on brackets above the sofa and will be angled down. The Q550 s will need to be non symmetrical to the fire place I think in order to calling with the sofa give its off centre to the fire place.

The sub placement is a bit iffy I think but I am limited, especially as I need to try and keep it away from the AV stack as I have a turntable on top of the rack. (this will be in the right alcove next to the fire as you look at the TV from the sofa.

any helpful comments greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• mk2.jpg
    mk2.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 70
Assuming extension the chimney breast or any major modification is out the equation, would mounting the TV on swivelling arm be possible, so that you can.move the TV into the centre of the room/ to the left, when viewing TV..

Assuming extension the chimney breast or any major modification is out the equation, would mounting the TV on swivelling arm be possible, so that you can.move the TV into the centre of the room/ to the left, when viewing TV..
yup the TV will be on a swivel bracket although the view angles are not to bad on it off slightly off centre as it is in our current house.

my major concern is speaker placement the centre has no where else to go other than the fire place mantle and the front are going to be a little strangely laid out.

My hope / thinking is that between the forgiving nature of the uniQ driver on the Kefs plus the self tuning feature on the AV receiver it should all come together.

Yes, you'll need time alignment.

Could you mount the centre as close to the left of the breast as.possoble or consider a sliding shelf or a stand?

Yes, you'll need time alignment.

Could you mount the centre as close to the left of the breast as.possoble or consider a sliding shelf or a stand?
The centre is going on the mantle so sliding is out the question and in reality from an room astheticsstandpoint having it off centre to much is going to look stupid.

If I can't get a 5.1 to work I'll have to revert to a new sounder instead I guess

Having the left speaker a lot further away from the TV than the right speaker and having a centre speaker that is off centre is not ideal so you'll have to rely on the AVR. Perhaps experiment with angling the centre slightly towards the main listening position.

An alternative is to use smaller satellite speakers which will allow you to mount on the left side.

How about mounting the centre vertically to the left of the breast, if that's closer to the centre.

Having the left speaker a lot further away from the TV than the right speaker and having a centre speaker that is off centre is not ideal so you'll have to rely on the AVR. Perhaps experiment with angling the centre slightly towards the main listening position.

An alternative is to use smaller satellite speakers which will allow you to mount on the left side.

How about mounting the centre vertically to the left of the breast, if that's closer to the centre.
the challenge I have is getting it agreed with the missus and she is not up for a speaker mounted to the side of the chimney as I already asked.

I can move the front speakers to be equal distance apart and angle them as needed no issue but angling the centre is not going to work as its too deep, it'll just about fit on the mantle flat back as it is.

I am not sure if I am asking to much of the AVR in this set up? its a chunk of change to spend so if it snot going to work I'd rather revert to a sound bar and do the 5.1 when we have funds to build a garden building in a few years.

I think Id prefer to have a proper 5.1 system and let the AVR do it's job as best as possible than have a sound bar before she changes her mind.

A sound bar will still be off centre though.

@Petay
If you get a swivel bracket than can handle both their weights, how about finding a way to attach both the TV and center speaker to it?

Edit: maybe using a center channel bracket like the following?
Amazon product ASIN B076TQB1HY

Last edited:
@Petay
If you get a swivel bracket than can handle both their weights, how about finding a way to attach both the TV and center speaker to it?

Edit: maybe using a center channel bracket like the following?
Amazon product ASIN B076TQB1HY
I'm conscious of how much weight the chimney breast can safely take, its single skin brick so extra long bolts won't be an option.

is the layout as I have it beyond the capabilities of the AVR to tune well?

@Petay
I'm no expert but I'd think the AVR won't be able to "fool you" into thinking the dialogue is coming from the screen when you move it away from the center speaker.
I guess it depends how much distance they'll be between the two in the most used configuration.

I’m thinking of just getting the AV receiver and running at 2.1 while I figure things out. Wondering if I could even stretch it to a 4.1 and move the LR speakers to suit the lack of centre

Going at it one step at a time could indeed be the way to go.
No reason not to experiment with different speakers configurations and placements.

So I’ve gone for the Yamaha RXV6A AV receiver and will try it initially as a 2.1 and then a 2.1 with phantom centre.

depending on how this works out I have identified the KEF T301c as a candidate for a centre speaker that I can more safely hang from a bracket in a attached to the main swivel bracket. A lot of this will depend on clearance above the mantle without the TV being neck achingly high.

rear surround speakers can be added depending on how well I can get the front channels working as the floors up and down are bare varnished floor boards so no drama to lift a few to run cables.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom