1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help!! Setting Default Monitor with ATI Radeon 9500

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Messiah, Aug 24, 2003.

1. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    I'm having huge problems with my HTPC at the moment. No idea why as it was all working just fine but then suddenly went haywire.

Can't get any display when switching displays to the projector - just a blank screen - and am wiondering if it has something to do with the default diisplay setting. When I choose Display properties / Settings it tells me that my primary monitor (Taxan LCD) is active but says the secondary monitor (projector via DVI) is the default display.

Does anyone know how you change the default display. I am using the latest ATI Catalyst drivers (3.6) but this is driving me so nuts that I'm about to give up on the HTPC all together. So frustrating as it was all working so beatifully :mad:

Any help gratefully appreciated.

2. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,016
    I take it the pj works OK via other inputs? You could try the vga in which the monitor was connected to.

You could try setting it to a single display, and have the pj on that output to see if alls well on the pj front.

Did you slide the rear connector onto the graphics card to hold the rear in place? Sometimes the case screw can place some pressure on the card and cause the rear pins to lose some contact. It happend to me and I could hear Windows boot up, but couldn't see anything because of just that. I removed the screw, slid the rear slider fully home, then fitted the screw and all was well again.

Gary.

3. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    You need to have the ati control panel installed for switching the monitors for primary and secondary.

I've had greif with all the cat drivers since 3.4 with the 1st initialisation after adding the powerstrip resolutions but once set up they seem to produce the goods picture wise.

4. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Thanks guys. It's definitely not a card seating problem as I get the POST screens on the pj via DVI and the normal windows desktop on the monitor via VGA. Unfortunately I cannot try the VGA cable to the pj (although one is run) as the Sharp 10k does not have a VGA input.

I got a bit further last night but still not working correctly. If I set the ATI control panel Displays tab to Single Default Display and set it to extend the Windows desktop to the second display than I can see a 1024x768 windows background on the pj (with no icons) at the same time as the normal windows desktop on the monitor. I can then move my mouse off the side of the monitor screen and it appears on the pj display. I also get a blue border left and right of the background image on the pj so it is displaying a 1280x720 picture. At least one thing is working :)

However, when I set the displays up to Switch Between Displays (in the Displays tab) I get a normal image on the monitor but when I switch to the pj (Alt + F5) all I get is a blank screen. The pj shows it is receiving a D-RGB signal but just won't display anything. When I try to set up a 1280x720 resolution in Powerstrip (v3.45) I can only do this on the monitor (for reasons as above) and when I try to add it it simply asks me if I want to restart my PC to see if the graphics card has accepted it. Back in Windows the res is available in the Displays list of PS but does absolutely nothing when I sleect it.

Geez, this is turning into War and Peace :) Anyway, suffice to say I've had all this working previously (till last week) absolutely beautifully and I am now beginning to go nuts (no comments about previous disposition please :D).

I know I'm probably doing something really silly but have spent about 6 hours on it so far and got no where.

As Leeloo would say

Heeeelllllpppppppppp!!!!!

5. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    This sounds like a similar problem to that I have with my HS10 and that is that it wont sync to the signal being recieved when the powerstrip setting has been applied.

The only way I can get my HS10 running via dvi is to set the dvi output as primary using a vga convertor connecting it to an old crt monitor, reboot, apply the 1368*768 which creates a scrollable res on the crt display, hotswop (I know you shouldn't but I cannot find another way to do it) the cables to connect the hs10 via dvi, the hs10 will now display the correct res, and then reboot and the hs10 will now display correctly at native rate.

If I do the resolution apply in any other order then I get a black screen on the hs10 where it cannot sync to the signal.

I hope some of the above helps:confused:

6. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Thanks John. Not sure I'll go down the swapping route etc for two reasons.

1. It all used to work so I need to fnd out why it now won't.
    2. Pic from my DVD player (Tosh SD900) is just so damn good that I may just give up on this HTPC thing. I only started it really to try so not a big loss (although did just put a new 240GB drive in her for DVD Decrypter use - Grr!)

Thanks again.

7. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Just a thought but in thinking more about it one of the things I have changed around the time it stopped working (but not saying this is the cause) is an upgrade from powerstrip 3.3 to 3.45. I wonder if the custom resolutions in 3.45 haver slightly different timing settings.

Would anyone by any chance have PS v3.3 sitting on a server I could download. I can't find it anywhere and lost it when I rebuilt the HCPC day before yesterday to try and solve this.

Thanks again.

8. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I've got 3.3 on my server if you pm your email address but it shouldn't make any difference.

It definitly sounds more like a cat 3.4 to 3.6 problem of applying the resolution from powerstrip similar to mine. You could go back to cat 3.2's and probably solve it but vmr if you use it is less effective.

9. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Thanks John

Loaded the original ATI drivers and CP from su8pplied CD and added PS 3.3. I've not got everything working correctly on my standard LCD monitor (after originally having to set it all up using the DVI to VGA dongle) and will work to get the pj set up and working corectly this evening.

I may make a Ghost backup first so at least I can get back to this stage should things go wrong.

Thanks again.

10. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Well, I've got the Taxan monitor all working correctly again, although the boot up screens default to the pj if connected at 720p :confused:. However, if I switch to the pj I still get no image at all.

It was all so easy last time and was done with a few clicks (literally) :mad: As earlier, If I set the 2nd monitor to have the windows desktop extended to it I get the windows background on it with no icons at the same time as the normal desktop (icons and all) on the Taxan monitor. What the heck is going on?

I'm about ready to throw this thing out of the window :eek: If it wasn't all housed in a nice CoolerMaster case I probbaly would. Anyone know of any web guides that explain (and show) how to do this. I just cannot figure out what I am doing different to last time.

Any other ideas?

Thanks.

11. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,016
    Have you a spare hard drive?

You could try a fresh install and see how it goes from there - new OS install etc. Then ghost it across to your existing drive when it's complete and working OK.

You may find that it installs perfectly just like the first time.

Other than that, how about removing all drivers etc (including registry and remaining folders) and rebooting from fresh so that windows is in just basic vga mode, then install from the original cd - or is that what you already did? Sometimes that can work better than reinstalling.

Gary.

12. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Thanks Gary. Yes, yesterday I did the boot in VGA mode and reinstall drivers etc but still no luck. For some strange reason even though I have set the monitor as the Primary display it defaults to the pj via DVI on boot up (i.e. for DOS boot screens) then switches back to the Monitor once you get the blue Windows Welcome screen.

I do indeed have a spare HDD (low capacity but plenty big enough for a fresh install) and will do that this evening. Good idea as maybe it will all work first time as before. If it does I shall then leave well alone and make several Ghost backups. Thanks.

13. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,016
    Good luck - I've been through a similar pain in the neck syndrome which entailed a complete format from scratch. No fun I can tell you.

I think my set-up booted into DVI and then went back to the vga when in Windows when I first set it up on the XP hard drive. When I set it to have two displays and alt-F5 to switch them, it will go to the last display chosen. So I think that part at least is normal.

Gary.

14. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Hey Gary

I'm in the middle of setting up a brand new HDD as suggested. Funny thing is though that with the old HDD removed and the new clean HDD connected and booting using the Windows XP CD the PC is still defaulting to putting the DOS screens via the DVI port to the pj at 720p.

By my reckoning this means that somehow tha graphics card has defaulted to the DVI as primary port. Any ideas how and how to change?

I am totally stumped.

15. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Have you got both dvi and vga connected, try taking the dvi out and reboot, I'm sure there is some sort of autosensing going on.

16. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    John

Absolutely right. After tearing out almost all my hair I spoke with Kramer this evening who suggested just that - although to pull the VGA and leave the DVI. Did this, booted in to VGA mode and then set the resolution in Windows to 1280x720 (it still had this resolution).

I then shut down and restarted and it displayed a 1280x720 Windows screen in all it's glory. I then shut down again, plugged in the VGA cable and rebooted and it has completely cured itself. Boots now to both screens (monitor and pj) at the same time (with black bars either side on the pj).

It is now even better than before in that previously I had to use Alt+F5 to switch displays then a Powerstrip key stroke to switch resolution to suit the display. However, now, a real bonus, which ever res I choose it automatically sends it to the output and screen which supports it. One less key combination to worry about.

Anyway, I'm over the moon and off quickly to make another Ghost image of the drive before anything else happens.

Thanks guys and thanks Kramer for all you support and patience. I doubt I would have done it without your help (in fact I know I wouldn't have) :smashin: :clap: :D :hiya:

17. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,016
    Well done!!

Glad to hear it's all tickety-boo again. :)

What I miss from my first Radeon HTPC was that both vga and DVI would output to monitor and projector, and both would display perfectly. Now in order to get a non tearing/stuttering display, I have to do the alt-F5 thing from one to the other. Not a major prob, but I don't know why the new drivers can't allow this...

Gary.

18. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Glad you finally got it sorted :smashin:

When they go wrong, they do go wrong :)

Ghosting is always a good idea, especially before making any changes, irrespective of how small they seem.

:smoke: