1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help setting audio levels?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by dinoprada2003, Sep 17, 2004.

1. dinoprada2003

dinoprada2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +241
    Hello All,

Right well iv'e just purchased my first sound level metre from audio shack :D and im trying to set up my speakers and amp to the correct level of 75db on each channel.Iv'e set up the level metre correctly i.e slow response,c weighting,and 70 on the dial.Now it says to set audio level of speakers to "refrence level" and make adjustments till all speakers output 75db.Im using the amp's speaker test tone to configure the sound levels.the amp I have is a rather crap sony str495b the max it will go on the volume knob is 70 now for me to be able to get a reading near 75db on the level metre I have to set "refrence level" of volume on the amp to 61.near enough to max volume on my amp.If I set volume any lower on amp even by adjusting tone for each speaker via the amp I dont get anywhere near 75db on the sound level metre.

1.) Is this to high a volume setting as a "refrence" level for the amp?

2.) if I use DVE test tones even with amp volume set to (61) I cant get all speakers to output any where near 75db is this due to crappy amp?

3.) I can configure all speakers individualy from amp and set levels + or - except for left and right speakers ether left is louder than right or right is louder than left.I.E I cant set them individually I have to have them set to 0 so they both output same volume is this again due to crap amp?

Thank's a million guys :thumbsup:

Dino.

2. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    As you have said it could be your crappy amp or it could be your speakers. What apeakers are you using with you Sony?

I dont think it really matters what level you use as reference with your amp as long as all the speakers are set at the same level.

3. dinoprada2003

dinoprada2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +241

Well there all set to 75db and the speakers are acoustic energy AE package 2

2x Aegis Compact Speakers
    2x Aegis Speakers
    1x Aegis Centre Speaker