Question Help: Seeking Advice Regarding A £500-£1000 Television (Details Within)

Jpkboff

Novice Member
Help: Seeking Advice Regarding A £500-£1000 Television (Details Within)

Hello, I was wondering if I might be able to tap the wealth of knowledge collectively possessed by the frequenters of this forum. The situation is that I intend to purchase a new television to replace my current LG 49UB820V as it has unfortunately developed some, not too distracting, but occasionally noticeable vertical streaks of a slightly different colour, most evident on yellow backgrounds along with an increasing tendency to have an issue requiring an off-on fix. (It also seemed to have trouble keeping up with displaying a falcon against the sky on a nature documentary. Artifacting, I think it's called? I'm not sure, all I know is that the falcon kept being dismembered with segments of it displaying separated from other portions or overlapping, turning it into a blocky brown juddery mess. This may be a configuration thing though, I tried fiddling to fix it but I couldn't eliminate the issue before having to rest from the cognitive exertion.) I spent a good few months doing my research on televisions before purchasing this one but due to a worsening of a neurological disease with which I am afflicted I have been struggling to manage much perusing before burning out.

As far as my requirements go;

• Size: 49-55 inches is the range I'm ideally interested in. There's no real benefit to me of a 55 inch over a 49 inch but I'm not averse to 55 inches if there's a marked difference in the quality of a particular aspect of the television, i.e. reliability or HDR quality.

• Picture quality: 4K resolution and HDR are what I'm after as I'd like to be able to make the most of the 4K HDR content I have access to, primarily PS4 Pro games, but possibly films and television in the future. HDR has me a little confused as there are so many different terms I hear bandied about in reference to it, I wouldn't want to get something subpar but because my perception is often compromised it's near impossible for me to accurately judge personally on demand. I really don't want to hamper those precious few moments where I'm able to enjoy visuals to the fullest extent capable because I made the determination when my ability to appreciate the artistry is dampened.

• Panel Technology: OLED is unfortunately unsuitable for me as the screen-burn issues are likely to affect me as static images are not an uncommon occurrence on my television and not something I can do anything about. (If I zone-out I can lose track of time for up to multiple hours as I become somewhat vegetative. Staring into nothingness, I mean, not enraptured by something being displayed.)

• Viewing Angle: Wide angle viewing is unnecessary.

• Input lag: Input lag's not too much of an issue as due to my neurological disease my own output lag makes it irrelevant.

• Calibration:
I am useless for this. Due to the effects on my memory I cannot tell whether the difference between the first image and the following image is an improvement or not unless it's a drastic change. Consequently, either a very easy way to optimise the viewing experience that doesn't rely on me making judgements by eye or a decent out-of-the-box standard would be ideal.

• Audio: I've always made do with audio so it's not a massive problem as long as it doesn't sound like I'm listening to it through a telephone connection.

• Bells and whistles:
All the upscaling software and motion software and user interface stuff and so on is where I need to rely heavily on any expertise you may have as I can't get my head round it despite many wasted hours of trying.

• Price:
Obviously I'd like to pay the least for the most as would anyone, and would like to keep my expenditure to between £500 and £1000. I'm most interested in the value of what I'm getting, by which I mean that just because I've listed £1000 as my upper bounds doesn't mean I'm eager to spend that much, if it's a choice between a £1000 television and a £700 television that's exactly the same as the £1000 television except it's thicker and 5kg heavier I'd rather have the £700 one. I guess what I'm saying is that I don't want to go beyond the point of negligible returns..

• Longevity: I'd hope for this next television to last me a while, hence the reasonably high budget(in my opinion).

• Immediacy: There's no great rush for me to go out and get one right away so I don't mind waiting for sales as long as I know what to look for and ideally when I should be looking.

The television will be wall-mounted in a darkened room (I'm photosensitive as a result of the neurological disease). If there's anything else relevant please don't hesitate to ask and I shall reply with the necessary information in addition to updating this post.

And finally, thank you, to everyone who schlepped through reading this. Even if you don't have anything to add, thank you for taking the time to read. It means a lot to me that you dedicated some of your precious time to hearing out my request for assistance. I hope that someone more knowledgeable than I is reading this and can offer me some advice. Whilst it may seem a little silly to be so invested in a television, it's much more than that to me. It's a window to a world outside a darkened room where my broken body is just that little bit farther away and one of the few semblances of freedom I still am able to experience after eight years of further and further deterioration since I contracted the disease at age fifteen. So, sincerely, thank you.

Dodgexander

Hi and welcome to the forum @Jpkboff !

Now probably isn't the best time to buy if you want a good LCD TV with HDR. The recommended 2017 models are all but sold out whilst the 2018 ones like the Samsung Q9FN or the Sony XF9005/XE9305 and even the upcoming Q8DN will still be very expensive and out of your budget.

You'll want to look in the upper-mid range to high range section to get a TV that does HDR justice here: My best value TVs, 2017 Edition

Sony XE9005/XE9305 are really hard to find now but the Samsung Q7F may still be available.

Always get the largest TV you can afford, but if your budget means you can only afford a 49" TV rather than 55" to get good HDR instead of mediocre HDR then it may be worth going for that instead.

If you don't need to buy straight away you may wish to wait for black friday or later for the 2018 models to come down in price: The best time to buy a TV

Are you not concerned with HDR being photosensitive? The brighter the highlights in HDR and the brighter a TV can get the better, its basically what HDR is all about.

Basic summary; right now the Samsung 55Q7F is good value if you can find one still available, if not wait for prices to come down on the newly released models. Be careful to look at the 2017 model with the suffix F, not the 2018 model with the suffix FN.

Jpkboff

Novice Member
Hello, thank you for the welcome and thank you to both of you for taking the time to reply and offer your insight.

I've had a look at your guides, @Dodgexander, and I'm sorry if it seems like I'm being deliberately obtuse, I assure you it's not intentional but I'm having difficulty determining what the £300 difference in price between the £999 #1 positioned Sony 55XE9005 from Richer Sounds (as suggested by @zeppelino) and the £699 #2 positioned Hisense H55NU8700 from John Lewis translates to as far as benefits go. Is the ~42% increase deserved? I know that's a somewhat subjective question but I only ask because I'm struggling to quantify the merits of each panel and the handful of reviews I've turned up online all seem to read like advertisements.

Regarding size, I've limited myself to at most 55" because I'm situated just under three metres away with no option to increase the distance. I am capable of waiting as long as is necessary if the benefits of doing so are eminently tangible. Would waiting until Black Friday (or after) yield me a markedly better television at equivalent expense, or is there no real advantage to say, a £999 2018 model then versus the Sony 55XE9005 available now?

A little, but not overly. My main contention is with sunlight which can cause me pain instantaneously which then rapidly becomes more and more severe, hence the darkened room. A brightly lit room can cause me discomfort and mild pain but nothing I can't tolerate. If I need to I can take breaks from viewing the screen brightly or even at all. The sun is not so forgiving.

I'm sorry if this response seems fragmented, I'm starting to lose cognisance. Thanks again.

Dodgexander

You can get an idea of the details between those two tv's with the reviews here on AVF:
Sony BRAVIA KD-65XE9005 HDR 4K TV Review
Hisense H65NU8700 4K LED TV Review

They are the 65" versions but perform the same as the 55" versions apart from the Hisense that seems to use only a 60hz panel at 55".

Basically the Sony is a lot better in the respect of HDR, it has local dimming that helps separate the bright bits from the dark bits in the picture and its also capable of getting a lot brighter which makes HDR more impactful.

The Hisense on the other hand is a very respectable TV for everything that isn't HDR, eg your normal TV and SDR stuff, normal blu-rays without HDR. It will do its best with HDR and to you it may look a lot more impressive than what you have seen before but it doesn't generally make the mark to most professional reviewers.

Regarding your question about the 2018 models, basically its a no. The new models don't offer advantages over there predecessors that make them worth the newly released premium you pay. For example the Sony XF9005 being almost 50% more expensive than the XE9005 from the year before. It's nice to have the newest tech but its not wise to pay release prices.

I'm not sure but I think it's possible you may underestimate how bright HDR is going to be, nominal viewing brightness can be on average 3-4x as bright as calibrated SDR and the peak highlights on a good HDR TV will be striking to someone who isn't sensitive to light. It's easier said than done of course but its always a good idea to demo a TV before you buy one anyway so if you can get a demo of one of a capable, bright HDR model I'd recommend it. Its rare but a few people here have returned their TVs as they find them too bright.

Of course you can turn the brightness down too but if you do that, its a reason to save money on a cheaper, less HDR capable model.

And yes, most of what you pay between a model like the Hisense you mentioned above and a TV like the XE9005 is HDR performance so it's not necessary to spend as much if you aren't going to use a lot of HDR.

If I were you I'd jump on the XE9005 if I wanted good HDR, the XF9005 probably won't be that cheap at black friday and although it will be cheaper, I'd be surprised to see it at the £1000 mark. If however you are prepared to even wait as late as spring next year then it would be wise to keep an eye open on prices after shortlisting a few TVs and swooping when the price is right.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom