HELP Scratches on screen aaaarrrrrgggghhh

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by Nickb20, Jan 30, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Nickb20

Nickb20
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    Recently my two year old found out that if she rubbed her plastic golf club up and down my brand new Sharp LC46 LCD it made nice patterns on the screen (TV only been set up 48 hours at the time):eek:. Needless to say she spent the rest of the day in her bedroom.
    Now I have a nice collection of scratches over the screen, I have cleaned away the scuff marks but found that some of the scratches are quite deep.
    During normal viewing I cant really see them unless I am looking for them, unfortunately I always find myself looking for them. The scratches are most noticeable when the TV is off or the sun catches the screen annoying me even more.
    I have looked into getting the screen repaired r replaced with my house insurance but gonna have to pay £150 excess for accidental damage.

Has anyone tried repairing scratches on their screen and what have they used, I found this Displex - HOME
    but its designed more for mobile phones. Any help at all appreciated, wanna try a cheaper self repair before I fork out for insurance.

Many Thanks
    Nick

2. retro41

retro41

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Have you check out the contents you got with it, with my Sony I got 1yr Accidental Damage cover, free! Sharp may have something similar. Worth a look.

I take it to be your LCD is the soft film, that repair stuff is for the hard-ish plastic that covers the actual display. So unless yours has it then it can possibly make it worse.

You could always say it arrived with the defect, you never know.

How deep we talking anyway, clear-rainbow effect scratches? or seeing subpixel deep.

3. KUBBY

KUBBY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +664
    Hi,
    I think i'd think twice before trying a self repair before you go to insurance, could make matters worse and if they get a sniff of it,they wont pay out!

Just a thought

Good luck,

KH

4. EuRob

EuRob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    i agree with KH. Insurance wont pay out if ya tamper with it.
    Cut your losses and pay 150 for the peace of mind, I would.

Rob

5. Nickb20

Nickb20
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah I think you are right, gonna have to go through insurance, I have done a bit more reading and its possible that the screen has some sort of thin layer on top and any repair attempt could make things a lot worse.
    The scratches have not gone down to the sub pixel level, if the t.v is on and the sun does not catch it you cant really see them, will probably leave it for a bit unless it gets too annoying then claim on the insurance, cant find anything about Sharp covering it for accidental damage.
    Thanks everyone for your replies.