1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HELP!!!! SCART to RGB issues - NO PICTURE

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by ensyed, Sep 18, 2003.

1. ensyed

ensyed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just bought an expensive SCART to RGB + sync cable to connect Sky to my Fuji 42VHA20 plasma.
    I connected it to a Sky box and I only get red adn blue lines flashing horizontally across the screen. I tried switching the red and green cables but it still gaves lines but now they are black and white. So I figure they must be OK.

i bought this cable from Tottenham court road. The salesman told me the RGB are marked and switch the other 2 around to see which is horizontal and vertical. Well if I switch the last 2 I get a black screen.

Can anyone think of a reason? The audio is coming out fine via another red/white cable so Sky is working.

Thanks

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Hmmmmm have you set sky to output RGB????
    Are you sure the cable is the correct direction ie scart>(to)>RCA which connections are you using on the VHA??? Our HHA has a scart on board.

3. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Need some more info on the cable. What make is it? What inputs are on your Plasma, i.e., 5 RCA sockets for RGB HV or 4 RCA sockets for RGBs?

4. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Sounds like its expecting a component signal and you are giving it RGB.

5. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Surely this expensive cable comes with a manual telling you which connectors go where and how to set up your source equipment?

Not knowing which you've got, I'm not sure what to advise. Certainly check that your source is giving your RGB video.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

6. ensyed

ensyed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The plasma has 5 RGB sockets.

I bought a cable which is scart on one end and 5 plugs on the other along with 5 BNC connectors. It just says custom on it. So the direction is not listed on it. I had a great deal of difficulty finding a store that carried it in London. I went to 5 stores on Tottenham court rd before finding it at all.

How do I check if the 5 RGB is expecting component or RGB?
    The sky box is apparently set to output RGB, according to the Sky people.

Thanks

7. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ok, this cable alone is not suitable for your purpose. Your Plasma is expecting RGB HV via 5 x BNC. On the other hand, your Sky Box is outputting standrad RGBs, using a Composite Sync signal. Your Plasma is expecting seperate H Sync & V Sync signals.

Unless your cable has an in-built sync sperator & amplifier, it won't work.

8. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Er, yes it will, if wired correctly. One of the 5 should be composite video, unless they've cocked it up completely, as Groundy indicates, there's no separated synch on scart, it synchs on G or composite. Sky will be composite synch, so if you can establish that one of the leads is composite, try the composite in port! Then connect the RGB, make sure they're the right ones, go into setup, and tell it to expect rgb and synch on composite. If the cable is no good, I've got a selection of lengths that will be, they have 4 BNC's. Where are you?

9. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sorry :blush: - I was assuming it was wired incorrectly for seperate H Sync/V Sync at Scart Pins 10/12, otherwise I don't see the point of the 5th wire. As you say, only 4 are required for RGB with Composite Sync.

10. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Must admit it's got me on what the 5th connector is wired to. Pin8? Or could this be RGsB+ stereo? Obviously that wouldn't work. Sounds in fact very possible you are in for another trip to TCR, consumer rights in hand.

11. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Maybe ensyed could open the scart plug and give us a quick run-down :confused:.

12. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Depending on plug type, and whether it needs to go back. At least we'd know what they've wired it to, and that would be ammunition for a refund if it's a no-hoper.

13. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    It's only ammunition for a refund if ensyed asked for a cable to connect Sky to the Plasma, not if he just asked for a cable with 5 bnc's on the end!!

Either way I don't think H and V really have official pins in a scart plug so it could be anything, I would expect at least one of them to be connected to composite video in/sync in (pin 19). If so then you should be able to connect that BNC to the H sync input, leaving the second sync BNC alone. Then set the plasma to RGB Video in the menu system.

14. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Does the 4th plug go to H-sync? It does on my projector, but you have to set that in a menu, on most plasmas it goes to composite in surely.

15. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Pete - if the cable is wired correctly for RGBHV (and if correctly is pins 10 and 12) then this cable will NOT work. The scart is correct, the sky box is correct, and the plasma is correct. The choice of cable has been wrong!!!

Now, if one of the sync poles can be shifted over to pin 19 (which I did mean as out not in :)) then this needs to be connected to the H sync connection. Then, in the setup menu for the RGB input, the signal type needs to be changed to RGB VIDEO.

So, if the company are a friendly one i'm sure they will do you a swop for the correctly terminated cable or will take the cable in and re-solder it for you!

16. ensyed

ensyed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK problem solved with help from this board and the nice folks at nexnix.co.uk who sold me the plasma. There were 3 separate issues plus my ignorance of plasmas, scarts and RGB. (I have recently moved here from the US, and used to own a RPTV HDTV, where they use component and now DVI)

1) The BNC input on the plasma was set to component video and I changed it to RGB video. Thanks to guys who pointed this out on this thread.

2) I was plugging in all 5 BNCs when I only needed RGB plus Video Out. The Video In and Video Out were mis labelled.

3) The Sky box was set to output PAL.

I am still mystified by why I needed a 5 plug cable and in fact what is the fifth plug for.

Thanks everyone.
    BTW I am a woman and am more into technology and AV stuff than most men I know.