help resolve NAD D3020 glitch

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by bmar, Feb 16, 2014.

1. bmar

bmar
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Picked up a d3020 a few days ago, and like most have heard, it sounds great and the variety of input options are wonderful.

I have two questions.
    When I plug in my sub, the high pass filter to the main speakers does not turn on. Ive spoken to tech support and was told to re-flash the firmware, but that didn't fix it.
    I was wondering if anyone has noticed this when using the sub out, or alternatively is the high pass filter working correctly for you.

Secondly I notice the amp is hot always, not just very warm...noticeably hot. Even if at low volume in the background. I don't know if this is bad or normal, but just feels too hot.

2. bmar

bmar
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    a few days have gone by.... gonna bump to see if there are any new eyes.

3. sergiup

sergiup
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,180
    I'm guessing you bought new, or if not at least hoping you have a receipt; just take it back and have it exchanged, it shouldn't get hot. Alternatively, unplug everything except the power and turn it on to see if it still gets hot, maybe it's caused by something that's currently connected for some strange reason.

I had one at home for a few days for evaluation, one afternoon I used it continuously; I've got relatively insensitive speakers and wasn't being that shy with the volume, and it got quite warm but that was all. I was only using USB, Bluetooth and the speaker outputs; no sub, no coax or SPDIF.

4. Don Dadda

Don Dadda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +728
    Out of interest, what speakers are you using?

5. bmar

bmar
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, My speakers are Wharfedale Diamond 10.4. I got rid of the heat problem by switching to better cable.
    I originally hooked it up with 16 gauge regular wires, and went to pure copper oxygen free 12 gauge.
    What hasn't been fixed is the issue with the high pass filter not working.

6. stitch123

stitch123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Have you tried taking your sub to shop that stocks the D3020d (sevenoaks?) and tried one of theirs? Saying that though I think they are all on the same original firmware.

Have you tried contacting NAD. I emailed them recently regarding whether the sub out could be used as a pre out as on the first batch of units the socket is labeled as pre out, then it changed to sub out. They responded in about 2 days.

Just out if interest how hard are you driving the amp to get a decent level of volume? I

7. bmar

bmar
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I now have the 10.4s and Kef LS50s. Really the sound is just ... it just makes me happy.
    I have a good listening room, sound treatments, decent size, etc.. everything compliments well.
    The NAD Techs could not figure out why the high pass doesn't engage to the Main channels when the sub is connected. Their conclusion was that, yes the feature is in the literature but was not implemented in the circuitry.
    To be honest I was not impressed by the little knowledge of this amp that the techs had.
    I had to make them reference NADs documentation for them to even know what I was talking about.
    They would ask questions like:
    TECH: "how do you know its not high passing at 100hz"
    ME: "because I have ears"
    TECH: "Do you have a frequency analyzer"
    ME: :facepalm:
    Maybe if I had more free time i would pursue more.
    I sorted it out by buying an ART EQ355 and manually tuning my room.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
  8. Doomlord_uk

Doomlord_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +255
    TECH: "do you have a frequency analyzer"
    YOU: "my brain"