1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Required

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by acg169, Oct 13, 2005.

1. acg169

acg169
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im probably being stupid here but hopefully someone can help.
    At present i have a Meridian 561 processor and parasound power amp with arcam dvd player, Im really interested in building a HTPC and wondered is there a pc card available to replace the processor which would mean all i would need is a PC and power amp and could sell my arcam dvd and Meridian processor which would help fund the PC. If this is possible what components would i need to try and get close to quality i get at present. As i said i may be asking a daft question but ive searched and couldnt find any relevent posts.

cheers

2. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,241
    Soundcards I'd say you want to be looking at are the MAudio FW410 (external FW card), the RME 9632, and the Lynx Two

I use the FW410, the analogue output is excellent. I was using a much cheaper MAudio 2496 until recently, and the 2Ch analog output quality even from this, was well ahead of my Denon AVR3803. The FW410 is 7.1 ready and in a different league alltogether.

The RME is even better still apparently.. there are quite a few guys on here using them in the same setup, straight to power amps..

Don't know much about the Lynx two, except that it is pricey, and doesn't always come out ahead of the RME in the few comparitive trials I've seen

Go for it if you like HTPCs, you won't be disappointed with the output... ;)

3. acg169

acg169
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks "Dude" for the info so just to clarify if i get high end sound card i can do away with my meridian processor and connect my pc to power amp and get 5.1 sound while watching movies etc through the HTPC. Excuse again if im being a little thick.....lol

cheers

4. acg169

acg169
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, Can anyone clarify my above comments please, it would be most appreciated.

cheers