1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help required!!

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by mr. shr, Aug 10, 2004.

1. mr. shr

mr. shr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi,
    I've been looking at subs from REL and MJ. So far I've tried the REL Quake, Q150 mk 2 and Stampede. I've also tried the MJ Ref. 100.

Out of all of them, I feel (for my ears anyway) the Quake is the best performer. I'm after a unit that shakes the room with movies so AV is the priority and music is second.

From listening to the MJ Ref. 100 I think musically it sounds lovely but with movies there is little impact. Am I right in thinking that MJ are more suited to Music?

What is the best sub to go for in order to achieve real sofa shaking low end with action movies?

(Budget between 300 to 500 GBP)

Thanks for any advice.

shr

2. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,239
    MJ Acoustics subwoofers are definitley more suited to music reproduction. The best sub for sofa shaking action without spending silly money would be something like the REL Q201 or the MJ Reference 1 subwoofers.

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    or look at the BK Electronics XL200 only available directly from the manufacturer at £289 which should equal or surpass any of the subs on your short list

Another sub worth considering would be the Mordaunt Short MS909 at about £500 which I have heard and liked

4. dacres

dacres
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My poor experience with subs are Q150 and PB1-ISD (806 € - 450 pounds).
    Listening Mel Gibson DVD 'We were soldiers' I understand what's 'real sofa shaking' - my back vibrated - at EACH shot, something unknown with the REL.
    All without distortion - 95 db SPL.
    With music runs OK, perhaps a more accurate driver should be better or there's a room node ('Hotel California' from 'Hell freeze...' a little 'boom' at high level), but a next upgrade of system (TV set and PC ) says NO to the more expensive ASW-675 (1100 €). No cylinders (WAF).
    Now the running in period and the Radio Shack meter.

J.D.

5. jamesl01

jamesl01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I would agree that the MJ subs are better for music than movies. That's not to say they are poor performers with movies. When I auditioned my sub I also listened to a REL strata which was superior with movies. As I listen to a lot of music through my system I settled for the MJ sub.

James

6. mr. shr

mr. shr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    So should I just go with the Quake? I'd like to consider the REL Q201 or other similarly specified subs but they are all a lot more money. Might I just be more satisfied with the Quake considering it's performance and price?

The RELs and MJ that I've looked at are well built and quality products. Obviously very important for something that will vibrate a lot!! I assume other manufacturers in my price range are just not as well built. Is that accurate?

Thanks

shr.

7. dacres

dacres
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htforum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=190398

Always with my previous considerations and personal taste.

J.D.

P.D. Sorry about 'vibrations', I write a lot better spanish.
    Better, 'accurate impact at every shot without dancing sub or fourniture' or ' sudden and fast shake of sofa'. No 'hum', no fuse problems, no ...

After to know origins and opinions of some expensive brand at this forum, I hope to pay for I get. I can be wrong. Who knows.

8. Beobloke

Beobloke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    I'd second the Mordaunt Short MS909.
    All the REL subs I've heard do boom, bang and crash really well, unfortunately when playing music they continue doing it when there's no boom, bang or crash present!

9. mr. shr

mr. shr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    So what are the Mordaunt Short units like? Are they well built like the REL's?
    Do they sound good with music too or are they purely designed for movies?

Thanks

shr

10. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    You'd need something like the Crowson TES 100 under the sofa for the shaking. Then you can buy a sub that sounds good without having to drive it excessively to get everything in the room moving. I wouldn't say the REL 200/201 are value for money having owned the 200E it underwhelmed me.

11. Beobloke

Beobloke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    The MS909 is very well built (and heavy!!). I bought it mainly for movies and it certainly has plenty of low end grunt - as my main speakers are Ferrograph S1's (big 70's transmission line jobs! :smashin: ) i really don't need any bass augmentation for music! However, i connected it up to some small bookshelf speakers and it really is excellent when used for music - it is the only sub i have heard that can play a proper tune!

12. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Why not click on the links at the top of the subwoofer forum page and read the reviews in Home Cinema Choice

13. mr. shr

mr. shr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    OK so I've ruled out the MJ subs. Although they are really good musically, I don't think they are quite what I'm after when it comes to movies.

So it's now between the REL Q150 and the Mordaunt Short 909. What are peoples preference between the two? They are about the same price. I've heard the REL Q150 and liked it.
    Is it worth auditioning the MS or should I just go for the REL?

Thanks for any help.

Regards.

shr

14. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi
    After having owned a rel q150e i would try and get a exdemo or secondhand B&W asw675 which i have also owned.It is also very compact similar to the rel but the bass quality is a lot better,If you like the rel you will love the B&W.
    Cheers Gonzo. :)

15. cityonfire

cityonfire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the VIBE Alpha II will do the job on movies you are looking for and its not bad with music to. Cost wise its £400 and you get a lot of sub for the money

16. mr. shr

mr. shr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Blimey!!
    There are so many manufacturers I haven't even considered.
    What are the benefits/disadvantages of having a ported design as opposed to a sealed cabinet?

17. Beobloke

Beobloke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    I would always go for a ported design.
    Sealed designs waste a lot of amplifier power in forcing the driver to move below the frequencies at which the box volume combines with the laws of physics to try and stop it! As a result of this, they can be quite punchy but are very often innacurate. if you're looking for something musical, a well-designed ported design is your best bet.

(Also, with thunder-filled films, it helps to have a port so that the extra air movement can literally flap your trousers :D )

18. Pollywoggle

Pollywoggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Unless you can get one cheap second hand the Rels are expensive for what you get in my opinion.

19. mr. shr

mr. shr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Aaaarrrhhhhh!!!
    I was all set to go with the REL Q150, but now there are new options!!! I haven't heard a ported sub and not sure where I can listen to one. Dealers near me generally deal with REL so it's easy to get hold of one and try at home.

But now I'm anxious to try a ported design!!

So Mordaunt Short or Vibe are my best options are they?

20. Pollywoggle

Pollywoggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Dealers in my experience love to sell you rel. I have nothing against rel whatsoever, I enjoyed my q150e when I had it but it was definitely good value at the price I sold it (£225) and no way worth the £500 I paid for it new!
    You can buy an awful lot better for that much money.

21. mr. shr

mr. shr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    What would you suggest in the 3-5 hundred pound range?

22. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Dealers in my experience love to sell you whatever product it is they stock

23. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Ooo that's just sooo wrong.
    Speaker design is a series of trade offs, neither design has any big advantage over the other. Choosing a sub on whether it's ported or sealed is not the way to go.

mr. shr: Try the Mordaunt and also as you have mentioned them the Vibe Alpha 1. I had one and found it reasonably close to the REL in performance.

24. mr. shr

mr. shr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    The trouble is, I have no way of trying one of these manufactures before buying and I'm reluctant to commit without having had a sample. I was all set for the REL but now you guys have dangled a carrot in front of me!!

(Did I just call myself a donkey!!??) :clown:

25. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Just to make you life more complicated Ian did mention the BK electronics XLS200 earlier. Try doing a search on here for it, I haven't heard it myself but it gets compared favourably to REL's IIRC.

Otherwise it's buy from the subs you can get to listen to. BTW where are you I'm surprised you haven't got more choice from your local dealers?

26. mr. shr

mr. shr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I'm in Peterborough. We've got a Sevenoaks who mainly dabble in REL. They do also have Mission, B&W and Kef, but think that a REL are better as they have better control and more depth.

There's also The Hifi company who stock REL and M&K.

27. Pollywoggle

Pollywoggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Well I'm not going to argue with Sevenoaks :laugh:

28. Pollywoggle

Pollywoggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    To be serious though you really do have to listen and trust your ears, it gets expensive if you make a mistake!

29. cityonfire

cityonfire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Example: I sold a REL Q150 to a customer once which i had in stock as well as the VIBE Alpha II. So i gave a demo on the REL which he came in about. He asked if there was anything else and i mentioned the VIBE which i also stock. But he said no as he had never heard of them so in his opinion he said "They must be crap i've never heard of them." So he bought the REL. Six months later he comes back with a friend who wants a sub but has only upto £400 to spend so cannot afford the £500 REL model his mate bought. Even though he was trying to get him to buy one. Anyway he saw the VIBE and liked the look of it and asked if here could hear it. Well you should of seen his mates face, what a picture. The first thing he said to me was "I wished i had saved £100 and bought that VIBE now as that stuffs my REL i bought off you." Now its not like i did not offer the cheaper option at the time to him. And the point of all that? Regardless of what you hear about a company don't go and buy the item without listening first as a sub can be an expensive mistake. But get it right and you will not stop smiling from ear to ear.

30. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    As has been mentioned twice before, you should definitely consider the BK XLS200. It's only £280 but compared very favourably to even the MS909 in a test we did (do a search for "Budget sub test results" and you'll find the thread). It's definitely recommended reading whether you go for one of the tested subs or not as it raises a lot of useful points about subwoofers in general.

I'd go with the BK (in fact I did!), you really won't be disappointed but there's no way to test it yourself beforehand. The MS909 is excellent and will do all you want but it is a bit laid back in style which is fine for most but is it what you want?