Help required with recording digital

KENP3

Standard Member
Hi
I have a set up of Sky(freeview) and a Humax Freesat into a Panasonic 1080, Free view starts here 18th June.(have seperate aerial+down lead)
I have installed a 4way Lan, with four seperate down leads.(two free )
I would like to be able to record a program while watching another, although it would be easier to record from the sky, either of the others would do,
Question,
Is this possible??, and if so recommendations as to
the best recorder .and connections
TIA for any help
Ken

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
Hi
I have a set up of Sky(freeview) and a Humax Freesat into a Panasonic 1080, Free view starts here 18th June.(have seperate aerial+down lead)
I have installed a 4way Lan, with four seperate down leads.(two free )
I would like to be able to record a program while watching another, although it would be easier to record from the sky, either of the others would do,
Question,
Is this possible??, and if so recommendations as to
the best recorder .and connections
TIA for any help
Ken

If you fit a scart selector to the 2 stbs vcr scart and its output into a DVDR scart, you can then record either stb by simply selecting the appropriate input to the selector.

Something like this will fit the bill

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SCART-Switch-...66:2|39:1|72:1690|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50

Last edited:

KENP3

Standard Member
Hi Graham.

Thanks for that, all seems quite easy (when you know how).
Just one point, when I come to play back ,obviously select play on recorder , do I need to switch off the STB's or does the recorder take presidence , or do I need to select on the TV.???
Thks
Ken
Ps. have ordered the selector

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
Hi Graham.

Thanks for that, all seems quite easy (when you know how).
Just one point, when I come to play back ,obviously select play on recorder , do I need to switch off the STB's or does the recorder take presidence , or do I need to select on the TV.???
Thks
Ken
Ps. have ordered the selector

The recorder remote control should have a source button on it, this determines whether it's own output or whatever is connected to the vcr scart is sent to the TV. It will default to the recorder so just pressing play will replay the recordings. You don't have to turn anything off. You just need to select the appropriate input on the TV. You don't say how many scarts you have on the TV, ideally if you have 3 then the TV scart of each stb will also have a direct input to the TV. If you have only 2 then you will need to use the source button on the recorder to watch one.

The most flexible arrangement however (more expensive) is to connect everything to a scart matrix switcher. With these you can say connect any stb to the recorder and at the same time connect a different stb to the TV

Here's one

6 x 2 A/V SCART matrix switcher with IR remote control - DJ Equipment from Djkit.co.uk

Let me know how many scarts each item has (and what they are labelled) and I will knock you up a connection diagram.

KENP3

Standard Member
Hi again,
I havn't got the recorder yet but am thinking of a DIGIHOME DIGITAL FREEVIEW TV RECORDER 250GB DG250DTRA08
it has 2 scart outputs ,,***** The Humax box is to the Tv with Hmdi and has 2 X scarts (empty),, ***** the sky box has 1xscart to TV (AV1) +1 empty Says VCR,, ***** the TV has 2 hmdi (one from Humax and one from home cinema)+ plus 2 scart (one from sky box) one empty AV2
Thks
Ken

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
Hi again,
I havn't got the recorder yet but am thinking of a DIGIHOME DIGITAL FREEVIEW TV RECORDER 250GB DG250DTRA08
it has 2 scart outputs ,,***** The Humax box is to the Tv with Hmdi and has 2 X scarts (empty),, ***** the sky box has 1xscart to TV (AV1) +1 empty Says VCR,, ***** the TV has 2 hmdi (one from Humax and one from home cinema)+ plus 2 scart (one from sky box) one empty AV2
Thks
Ken

The link you supplied is a freeview pvr. Pvr's can only record from their internal tuners (they don't need analogue to digital converters so don't have them). To record an external source you will need a dvd recorder with or without an internal hard disc drive.

Link to diagram

http://www.4shared.com/file/110587707/6975d520/recordingconnections.html

Last edited:

KENP3

Standard Member
Hi again
That diagram is great . I realize this freeview recorder is not analogue to digital, but our analogue service ends next week 18th June so I thought the recorder would be suitable for the job. The Panasonic TV is Freeview ready, but the price of the recorder is right.
In view of the above can you advise that the recorder would be suitable, (there is one on the auction ending tonight)
Thks for the time you are spending on advising me, I am 77 and find modern TV very confusing, many years ago I spent time going round fitting STB s for the start of commercial TV.
Cheers
Ken

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
Hi again
That diagram is great . I realize this freeview recorder is not analogue to digital, but our analogue service ends next week 18th June so I thought the recorder would be suitable for the job. The Panasonic TV is Freeview ready, but the price of the recorder is right.
In view of the above can you advise that the recorder would be suitable, (there is one on the auction ending tonight)
Thks for the time you are spending on advising me, I am 77 and find modern TV very confusing, many years ago I spent time going round fitting STB s for the start of commercial TV.
Cheers
Ken

Bit of an old buffer myself. Bit of a primer on digital TV. The difference between analogue and digital is simply the information that the uhf carrier signal is different. In analogue the carrier wave frequency is slightly varied to transmit info. This only allows one TV channel per UHF channel. In digital the carrier wave is modulated in the same way but this time it carries digital not analogue info and this means one carrier can handle multiple TV and radio channels. The information is compressed using a process called mpeg compression. This works by sending 1 full frame of video with the next few frames having only difference information. The tuner sorts out the mpeg digital stream for the channel, because it's digital it can be saved on a hard disc drive (or dvd) with no loss of quality. This data is sent to to a mpeg decoder which turns it into a 25 frame per second pal signal that your TV can display. The mpeg decoder does not care whether the data is live from a tuner or coming from a hard disc. This is how freeview pvr's (dtr) work and as a result they can't record from anything else other than the built in tuners.

To record from an external analogue source you need a vcr or a gadget that turn the analogue signal back to digital (analogue to digital encoder) and then a real time mpeg encoder to compress it into a form you can write to disc or DVD.

Only DVD recorders have this capability, these days they have internal freeview tuners and hard discs but unlike most freeview pvrs they only have a single tuner so can only record one thing at once. If you are not bothered about recording sky the twin tuner pvr may be all you need because they can record 2 programmes at once and also replay a previous recording at the same time. Additionally you can always watch the built in freeview tuner in the TV. The cleverer pvr's notably Humax and Topfield allow you to watch a (possibly limited) 3rd channel even while recording two.

I would not buy anything yet until you are sure that you get a decent freeview signal after dso. You may need an aerial upgrade but again wait and see.

If you still can't get a decent freeview signal after DSO think about getting a quad lnb on your dish and getting a freesat-pvr. The twin tuner Foxsat-hdr is available for about £250.00 and will also give you access to two free high definition services (BBC and ITV HD)

Welcome to HUMAX [UK]

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom