Help required with PC Upgrade

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by gwladok5, Jul 9, 2015.

1. gwladok5

gwladok5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I'm thinking of upgrading my PC.

I'm always a bit worried when the proposed components cost more than the motherboard and I wondered if someone could give the onceover on these:

Asus Z97 Pro gamer motherboard

Intel I5 4690K processor

CX750 power

Radeon R9 280X video card

Corsair DDR 3 SDRAM 2400mhz (8GB)

LG Blu-ray writer BH16NS40

All in a Corsair 200R case

I'm only likely to use this for Train Simulator 2015 or Flight Simulator.

Any comments welcomed

2. discover

discover

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +148
    Have you already bought this or thinking about buying it?

3. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,548
    Generally with motherboards you're paying for features and overclocking ability. I'm not sure how big a difference the latter is for Z97, sometimes it'll only help if you get lucky with the CPU. I would default to a cheap motherboard because they don't make any difference in performance. B85 is probably the one to go for at the moment if you're not overclocking. The cheaper H81 has one or two major compromises like only allowing two memory slots.

I'm not familiar with the performance characteristics of those two simulators so it's a little hard to say how much more CPU power would benefit you, but the savings to a B85 + i5-4590/5690 + cheaper CPU cooler + smaller power supply could be £100 or more.

I'd probably go for an R9 285 or whatever the rebrand equivalent is. It's marginally slower but it gets adaptive sync which reportedly makes a big difference in fluidity with a compatible monitor.

Fast ram generally has little effect on performance for most programs, gaming with integrated graphics being one of the more notable exceptions. I wouldn't pay more than about 10% extra over the cheapest available sticks unless you know you're in one of those niches. Anything more than about £40-45 for 8GB DDR3 is a waste of money.

4. gwladok5

gwladok5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for your responses. I've not committed myself to buying anything yet