help required with new receiver purchase

mre15

Established Member
Reaction score
A friend is looking for a new receiver, he has £350 max to spend.

Can anyone suggest some good amps to look at in this price range.

He is using the eltax millenium cinema set of speakers if this helps.

Thanks for your help.

Also maybe some ideas of the best place to purchase from.

I think the simpler quesiton is ... any amps to avoid in this price range ...

From people's comments, reviews, etc ... I don't think there is really one amp that stands out head and sholders above the rest at this price ... all the big players (Denon, Marantz, Sony, Yamaha, Pioneer, Harmon Kardon and Onkyo) have an amp at this price range and it is my feeling that its more down to the fact that they are different rather than one being better than the rest. It also depends on his priorities - the Marantz is rated best for music, where as the Pioneer is slightly better for movies. To be honest ... I expect a lot of people's choice when buying in this price range will come down to what their dealer has in stock, and the appearance of the amp (shock horror!!).

Also watch out for bargains on last years higher end models, and Pioneer, Sony and Yamaha have new models coming out in the next couple of months at that sort of price.

At the end of the day ... go along to a good HiFi shop, demo a few with his own speakers and choose the one he prefers.

Hope this helps.
Vikki

unless you really want discrete 6.1 i think you would be hard pushed to beat the yamaha rxv430rds for £149.99 from Hyperfi.co.uk. This would leave some left over for decent cables

Seems to have gone up in price :( Now quoted at £179.99 - think Richer Sounds have it at that price too although if its more, they'll bring it down to match the hiperfi price (i think!!)

The Yammy 430 model's the one I want too - seems to be a good budget choice from what I've been reading across the forums... :lesson:

sorry Knoxy, didnt make my self clear. Hyperfi are selling it for £150 (advert in Whathifi s/v) but have not updated the web page.
better still if you buy it from empiredirect.co.uk they will price match the Hyperfi price of £150, the p+p is only £5.99 (compared with £10) and if you order it today it will be with you on tuesday!
hope this helps.

wahey! nice one menalaus :smashin:

think i may have to nip across to the empiredirect website at some point this weekend - still havent seen it though...

can you get this in a titanium-like colour? or is it standard black?

knoxy

presumably when you do nip across Manchester you will not be wearing your Arsenal colours ....

ditton

Knoxy, it will be still listed on the empiredirect site as £199.99, as the £150 was to match Hyperfi . just give them a call, tell them youve seen it for £150 at hyperfi and ask them to match it . job done.

dont know if they carry the Titanium version, i think its a its a different model number anyway but exactly the same to look and listen to.

Hi all
The titanium version is the htr5540rds i used to own one of these and for £150 its incredible value for the money a good buy when it was £200 you can't go wrong.
Gonzo.:smashin:

ditton15:
Originally posted by ditton15
presumably when you do nip across Manchester you will not be wearing your Arsenal colours ....

Remember the Arsenal / Manchester United game last week? Wore my Arsenal colours to the pub for the game... interesting time as you may well imagine!

Gonzo:
Ahh! Didn't realise the titanium version was a completely different model number - there's no technical difference is there? Just that the 630 keeps the same model number for both black and titanium (or I could be wrong on that too!).

Hi knoxy
The rxv430rds and htr5540rds are both the same receivers bar the colour.Think they chose to change the model number as the htr5540 is sold with speakers and sub and sold as home theatre in box 45.But you can buy it on its own.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom