1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Required With My New Sony STR-DE698

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by arnnie, Jul 3, 2005.

Tags:
  1. arnnie

arnnie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

New to the forums, with a new amplifier the Sony STR-DE698. Had a few problems initially setting the amplifier up as i was surprised with the amount of settings the amplifier had, although now all is set up and working I am slightly concerned as I have to have the volume on 30 plus to hear anything at all out of the amplifier, bearing in mind when i am watching a film using one of the surround modes it is actually allot worse and almost needs to be on max. Just wondering if this is normally with this type of amplifier and why i have to run the volume so high before I get to hear anything. Any help with this would be most appreciated as I am very impressed with the overall sound quality of the amplifier and its features just the lack of volume concerns me.

Regards,

Chris

2. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    That is definately not right. You will need to post what you have connected to the amp and how in order for anyone to be able to provide any real assistance though.

3. arnnie

arnnie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thankyou cable monkey for the response at the moment connected to the amp i have

1) My pc connected into Aux socket
    2) My Ps2 into the DVD
    3) My CD player into the Sa-Cd/ Cd.

There are also 6 speakers wired into the Amp :-

1) 2x Ghale 3010S into the Surround left and right sockets.
    2) 2x Acoustic Solutions towers into the Front left and right speakers.
    3) 2x Aural Envelope towers into the Surround back left and right sockets.

At the moment there is no sub or centre speaker and all of the speakers connected to the Amp use 2.5mm Pro loudspeaker cable.

4. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    Are you using a digital connection for sound from the PS2? (I don't know how they are equipped.)

5. arnnie

arnnie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am connecting the Ps2 through the dvd socket on the rear of the amplifier using the two left and right phono sockets from the Ps2 straight into the back of the amplifier. I am starting to wonder if there is a setting I can change on the Ps2 as the other connections I have now seem to be working ok the Cd player and the Pc. On both of these i can run the volume now in the low 20s. It just seems to be Ps2 running quiet and when watching Dvds etc., I can only hearing the background noises as opposed to hearing the people talking.

6. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    Ok, from what I have read, your ps2 should have an optical spdif connector. An optical digital cable should be used to connect this to the rear of the amp (into the DVD optical digital input). This will give you full sound levels and proper digital processing of your DVD soundtracks.

7. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Do cable monkey's suggestion as well, as this will give you much better sound, but i know the solution to your problem!!!

You must tell the amp you have no centre speaker. I used to have the 697 and its pretty simple, you go to the speaker size setting, then centre it will have small, large or none. Select none and the centre effects (i.e. 65% of the soundtrack inc. dialogue) will go to the left and right speakers and create a phantom centre speaker. Hope this solves it!

8. arnnie

arnnie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys for the great response, i will give both of these suggestions a go :-

Cable Monkey for connecting the Ps2 via the connector you mentioned I presume I need a new cable, just wondering if you could give me some links to sites so I can see which one I require.

Chedmaster thanks for the suggestion on the centre speaker didn't realise you could actually change it to none. I know where the option is to change the setting on that, so I will give that ago this evening and see if that also helps me out.