Help required with HDMI connection

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by terryp, Jun 1, 2008.

1. terryp

terryp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi, below is a thread I started a few weeks ago, many thanks to all who helped. This is a follow up after I bought an HDMI cable.
    When recording Freeview to HDD on the Panny it is known from previous posts that it records in 4:3 and when viewing you have to change aspect manually, no problem there as long as you know about it.
    My new query is this, when trying to view recorded programmes from HDD via HDMI cable and after setting TV to HDMI the picture comes on as 4:3 and changing the aspect has no effect at all apart from making it even narrower, I have to resort to watching via scart.
    If I watch Freeview channels live the HDMI cable appears as 16:9, DVD films work correctly as well.
    As far as I know all the settings are correct, I have got the aspect set on Panny as 16:9.
    One thing I noticed when first using the HDMI was that it recognised the cable and told me that it was outputting as 576, I changed it to 1920 my TV is full HD and does take 1920, was I correct in doing this?
    As regards the previous post I was asking about whether there was any advantage using an HDMI cable and was assured that it would most certainly make a big difference with upscaling, I must say if there is an improvement it is only very slight if at all.
    Am I expecting too much with regards the quality playing Standard def discs not Blueray and watching Freeview ?

Hi, just got one of the new Panasonic TX-37LZD80 lcd's which is brilliant
    playing Freeview and Sky. I have a Panny HDD/ DVD player with upscaling ( DMR-EX75EB ) with HDMI socket, would it be to my advantage and would I get any improvement if I fitted an HDMI cable.
    Just played ' Hot Fuzz ' and the picture was very good with scart connection so could I do any better?
    Thanks
    Terry

2. warberry

warberry
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi terry,

I suspect your TV actually has a better upscaler than the HDD/DVD player, so I would force it to output either 576i or 576p. I'm running a DMR-EX77 into a TH-42PZ80 plasma, which i think has the same image processing as your TV. I find 576p better than i for some weird reason, but that may be a plasma thing: do try both.

3. terryp

terryp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks Warberry I will try that and set it to 576, will this have any effect on the TV outputting a 4:3 picture ?
    Terryp