help required with 5.1 SACD connections

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by jmbrailsford, Nov 5, 2005.

1. jmbrailsford

jmbrailsford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +275
    Hi,
    I'm looking for some advice before buying a set to run my Denon 2910 into my Marantz SR5200 for use with DVD Audio and SACD discs.

If I hook up the amp via the 5.1 connectors SL, SR, FC, FR, FL and Sub this will obviously give me 5.1 for dvd audio and SACD, however how will this affect my sub as it only has one input and I require that for the movie surround?

Do I need another sub cable with a Y connector to run from the amp to single SUB input so I can run the sub from both the LFE output AND the 5.1 outputs or will the 5.1 connectors as listed above do all of the sound for movies and music?

Bearing in mind that I have a 6.1 speaker setup or will I have to plug and unplug the sub in with 2 different cables everytime I need to use it for either music or movies?

Sorry to have to ask but I have lost the manual

Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Mike.

2. LFCRules

LFCRules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    Hi Mike,

Hopefully I've go the right end of the stick for this, but if it's anything like my setup, all 6 cables go into your Marantz amp. Checking out the specs of the SR5200, it has a full set of 7 channel inputs, i.e. the 6.1 setup. So for DVDA/SACD, put in the 5.1 cables into the relevant amp inputs. Then it's just the one cable to the sub. When you have the 5.1 cables into the amp selecte the relevant input (assume the amp has a DVD-A selection), and away you go for DVDA/SACD.

For movies, I assume you have a digital connection, either optical or coax, just continue to use that.

So you'll have 2 sounds output's from the DVD, the digital one, and the 5.1 outputs, into 2 input's on the AMP. All you've got to do is select the right input on the amp.

Cheers

Andy

3. jmbrailsford

jmbrailsford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +275
    Hi Andy,
    thanks for the help, this is what I suspected, I wanted to order some Mark Grant cables for the 5.1 SACD setup and wasn't sure if I needed 5 or 6, it looks like I need 6, plus either a optical digital or coax, although I already have a 4m Mark Grant Sub cable so all I will need is a digital Coax plus 5 other analogue for the 5.1 setup.

Cheers,
    Mike.