Help required - Wireless network stability

Dazza Cole

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi guys - i've got my PC set up in the back bedroom using the wireless belkin modem & router - which is in the living room of the flat - so they are opposit corners of the property.

Everything works ok, although the connection strength is always low / very low. However, as soon as anyone wlaks down the hallway between the 2 rooms, or comes into / out of the back bedroom, it breaks the connection. Which makes downloading a complete pain, as once i've started I have to stay almost rooted to the spot!!

Any ideas on how I can solve this? I've situated the USB receiver as high as it can, based on the cable length. :lease:

I've had a wireless network in the past, and got so fed up with the crap quality of the software and the connection problems that I've rewired the whole house with cat5.

The only way you will boost the signal is to get a VERY good aerial, and depending on what type it is, put it either very high up in the room, or pointing towards the router. Theres bidirectional and omnidirectional, not sure which is which, though.

The only downside to this is that the aerials dont usually come with a lot of wire, and are extremely expensive for good quality ones that have decent gain.

Wireless is not really too hot yet despite what manufacturers tell you.

I have a 54g WLAN running in a Four bedroom house and get a full signal anywhere in the house both floors and all the way down the garden!

Firstly make sure all your wireless kit is made by the same manafacturer (steer away from Ebuyer/PC World own brand stuff)

Then junk any USB adaptors and get PC card or PCI adaptors.

For maximum speed Turn off WEP security and enable MAC Address filtering, obviously not as secure but still secure and fast.

Don't bother with the manafacturers software, I've tried Belkin's/Netgear's and 3Com's; they are all rubbish. Use the built in stuff in XP

Try using different channels in case other electrical stuff is interfering

Hi Dazza...

Are you using the Belkin 'Pre-N' MIMO wireless equipment?

If not and you can afford it... sell you current stuff and buy the Blekin Pre-N gear.... it's reasonably priced...

I use wireless everyday in a business environment and the Belking Pre N gear wipes the floor with anything else on the market at the moment (bar some of the other companies slowly catching up)...

Range is fantastic as is the speed and reliability...

HTH...

Mark.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom