1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help required to instal DVD (Panasonic) recorder with Digital Box

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by trulybaffled, May 1, 2005.

1. trulybaffled

trulybaffled

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :lease: :lease:
    Can someone help me please please please!!!!
    I have a Panasonic DVD recorder, ordinary TV and a digital box (Pioneer)
    and between the three manuals I am really truly confused.....

basically installation is through Scart leads and TV does not have "Q" (if only I knew what it was I don't have!)

TV has two scarts : Euro AV and AV2
    DVD recorder has two scarts, AV1(TV) and AV2 (ext)
    Box has two scarts -VCR and TV

Simple???? Not to me as the instructions don't mention Euro scart and refer to names I know nothing about.....

Basically - I would like to know what scart goes where in order for me to record all channels - and what channel should I use on the TV????
    AV1 on tv and AV2 have the digi box

I had never realised before, how truly thick I am but when these manuals tell me to check the TV and then check what channel the box is using and input it into the DVD - I am truly lost........

I am ok on the internet - so have a little bit of street cred, and know if all else fails, my supposedly super duper DVD recorder will end up on E-bay

- we can put a man on the moon, so why can I not plug a dvd recorder in and expect it to pick up things automatically............
    :confused:

I eagerly await your reasonable responses

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
    Connect using good quality Scart cables as follows:

Pioneer DVB TV Output >>>> AV2 on the Panasonic and then AV1 >>>> AV1/EXT1 on your TV (the first scart socket)

Ensure the Panasonic AV1 and AV2 connections are set to RGB: goto Functions - Setup - Connections - AV1/AV2 Connection and select 'RGB' for both AV1 and AV2. Ensure connection type is 'normal'. To 'view' the Digibox use the up/down channel buttons to select channel 'A2'.

Any problems let us know!

3. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    What are the exact items you are trying to connect? What actual models?

4. Muzzer

Muzzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had similar dilemmas. I have the following kit:

TV: Panasonic TX-28PS1
    Sky Box: Panasonic TU-DSB31
    DVD Recorder: Panasonic DMRES10

I reckon there are only 2 real options using scarts - please correct me if I'm wrong anyone:

Option 1:
    DIGIBOX TV > DVDR AV2 (RGB)
    DVDR AV1 > TV AV1 (RGB)
    DIGIBOX VCR > TV AV2 (composite only)

+s:
    •Can record RGB signals from sky
    •Can view RGB signal from sky (via DVDR)
    •Can record from Sky (RGB) while watching terrestrial channel using TV tuner
    •Can record terrestrial channel (using DVDR tuner) while watching Sky (TV AV2, composite only)
    •Can view DVDs in RGB

-s:
    •Won't be able to use the Sky personal planner to automatically record (The ExtLink function) as this is not available with RGB signal
    •Won’t be able to use the TV’s QLink function (or equivalent) i.e. auto tuning, direct record etc (this is only available from TV AV2)

Option 2:
    DIGIBOX TV > TV AV1 (RGB)
    DIGIBOX VCR > DVDR AV2 (composite)
    DVDR AV1 > TV AV2 (composite or S-video)

+s:
    •Can view RGB signal direct from DIGIBOX (TV AV1)
    •Can record from SKY (composite only) while watching terrestrial channel using TV tuner
    •Can record terrestrial channel (using DVDR tuner) while watching Sky (RGB)
    •Can use the Sky personal planner to automatically record (The ExtLink function).
    •Can use the TV’s QLink function (or equivalent)

-s:
    •Can’t record RGB from Sky digibox
    •Can only view DVDs in composite or s-video

Personally I think the first set-up is the best as long as you don’t mind not being able to use the Sky personal planner to set up recordings and not having the QLink functions. I suppose if you were desperate you could switch the Sky box to output composite, which would allow you to record from the personal planner but I think having RGB outweighs the hassle of setting up a manual timer recording.