Help required - speakers for my TV

cheggers33

Standard Member
Reaction score
Alright chaps- 1st post so go easy....

I have recently purchased a spanking new TV, the Toshiba 32AV504DB but now require some speakers and a subwoofer; nothing fancy.

Im not the best at understanding the jargon, but when looking at various sites (eBuyer, Amazon etc) I see some nice speaker sets for like 40 quid, surely these cannot be used with a TV and only have a PC input?

Anyway, can anyone recommend a good site or even better, a decent set of speakers / woofer for under 100 quid?

Thanks again for any input, much appreciated!! :thumbsup:

In case it matters, a pic of the ports on my TV is below:

Toshiba.jpg

Your TV has no option for connecting external speakers. You can run a pair of RCA leads from the Audio out (2nd and 3rd connector at top left) to a spare input on your stereo. If you don't have a stereo, this option is out.

The only other option is a PC speaker set; these have amplification built in and there are some in the price region you mention. You would need an adapter to convert from the 3.5mm stereo jack to two RCA leads: you can get one at almost any electronics / PC shop (or Amazon). Whether they'd be much of an improvement is a second question; frankly I rather doubt it.

Your TV has no option for connecting external speakers. You can run a pair of RCA leads from the Audio out (2nd and 3rd connector at top left) to a spare input on your stereo. If you don't have a stereo, this option is out.

The only other option is a PC speaker set; these have amplification built in and there are some in the price region you mention. You would need an adapter to convert from the 3.5mm stereo jack to two RCA leads: you can get one at almost any electronics / PC shop (or Amazon). Whether they'd be much of an improvement is a second question; frankly I rather doubt it.

I think a set of 60£+ 2.1 PC speakers would greatly improve the sound over standard tv speakers. I haven't heard a tv that could generate the same kind of output anyway. I would probably look at some logitech (I like the sound of the z-4 for the price) or creative/altec lansing. Read reviews on the web if you find a set that looks good. If you have your tv wall mounted (not likely I'm guessing), a lot of PC speakers offer this function as well.

There is one potential problem though. On a lot of tv's without speaker output, you have to turn the volume on the tv down if you want to have the sound from somewhere else. This means that you might not be able to use the tv-remote for the sound, which would be quite annoying.

Thanks for the help guys - I eventually went for the Logitech X-540 Multimedia Speaker System 5.1, which sounds great with the TV but I am having issues with connecting this to me Xbox 360...

The output connections of the speakers is 3 x headphone jacks - I have bought 3 VGA adaptors to counter this, but still cant get the sound working when in HD mode (it works via normal TV and normal Xbox connection)

Anyone have any ideas? Im pulling me hair out here!!

The output connections of the speakers is 3 x headphone jacks - I have bought 3 VGA adaptors to counter this
You need 3 x (stereo 3.5mm jack - 2 RCA lead) connectors. VGA is for the picture only, and you don't need any adapters.

You need 3 x (stereo 3.5mm jack - 2 RCA lead) connectors. VGA is for the picture only, and you don't need any adapters.

I need 3 of these adaptors? Where are they going to plug into my TV? I was told that I only needed 1?

Apologies for all the questions!

You have the speaker system pulling sound from your TV right? So you plug the component video and LR audio (R, G, B, Red, White) from the 260 into the TV in the 5 sockets under where it says component video input. The TV should then pass the sound through to the speakers. That's what I do with my TV and 360.

In case there's any confusion from what you said above, component (RGB) input from the 360 to the TV IS HD mode. If you use the composite (Yellow) connector, that is SD. I would assume that would be plugged in under where it says VIDEO on the left.

The Logitech 5.1 speaker system is designed for PC use and will therefore have three 3.5mm jacks- one for left/right, one for rear left/right and one for centre channel.

Since the TV will only have a stereo output, you would only get sounds coming from the front left and right speakers (and the sub) because you only will be able to connect one jack from the speaker to the TV (3.5mm to RCA).

The Logitech 5.1 speaker system is designed for PC use and will therefore have three 3.5mm jacks- one for left/right, one for rear left/right and one for centre channel.

Since the TV will only have a stereo output, you would only get sounds coming from the front left and right speakers (and the sub) because you only will be able to connect one jack from the speaker to the TV (3.5mm to RCA).

So you are saying that I can only connect one of the 3 (either left, right or centre) to the tv? 2 questions come to mind - where does this connect (which port?) and can I not just get a 3-way splitter to plug all 3 in?

Thanks for your help guys - I have bought all sorts of cables, adaptors and alike and still no luck getting the xbox to work with sound to the speakers.....

It might be worth noting that I have the xbox connected via the 3 connections rather than HDMI or scart. Dont know if this makes a difference.....

You have a stereo TV. You can therefore use the left and right speakers by plugging them in where it says headphone.

To use the XBox for surround sound you would need a surround sound amplifier / receiver and suitable speakers. You then run an optical lead from the xbox to the amp and plug speakers into the amp. Your Logitech speakers are unsuitable, as they're made for PC use.

You have a stereo TV. You can therefore use the left and right speakers by plugging them in where it says headphone.

To use the XBox for surround sound you would need a surround sound amplifier / receiver and suitable speakers. You then run an optical lead from the xbox to the amp and plug speakers into the amp. Your Logitech speakers are unsuitable, as they're made for PC use.

I dont necessarily want surround sound, just sound!

If you bought the Premium Xbox 360 it will have the component video cable (red/blue/green - ypbpr video and red/white - analogue audio). You could simply connect that to the speakers. However, as that is only going to give you 2.0 channel stereo, you should get s/s mixed from the TV's 2.0 channel output. I doubt it would be any better/worse than connecting directly. Unfortunately if those speakers don't have an optical input then you won't get true DD 5.1 surround sound but will get something like Dolby Pro Logic or another form of pseudo surround from the 2.0 channel signal.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom