Help required - some basic questions!

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by matt80, Apr 8, 2005.

Tags:
  1. matt80

matt80
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I am considering replacing my VCR with a PVR, but am very new to all this and am very sketchy on the details of PVRs. I would really appreciate some help with the following points:

1. PVRs only record so much material. Is there any way of archiving stuff you want to keep? e.g. Is it possible to hook it up to your PC and save it all to your PC hard disk, and also restore stuff from your PC hard disk to the PVR player?

2. Is it possible to upgrade the HD in the PVR to one with higher capacity? If so, would any old PC hard disk do or do they have to be of a certain type?

3. Am I correct in thinking that if I were to subscribe to Sky+, I basically get a PVR "for free" as part of the deal? Do Sky supply a PVR or am I free to choose my own? I would really want a dual recording one as I would want to be able to watch one channel whilst recording another...

Many thanks for your help!
    Matt

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    Most PVR's will have a second scart output to connect to a VCR/DVD writer etc for archiving to. Some PVR's have user written software for creating a PC backup or for writing to DVD

Yet again the answer is yes with some PVR's. I am not sure if it is possible with all though.
    I updated the HDD in my TiVo and that was just a standard PC HDD. I think most PVR's also use standard PC or laptop HDD's.

No, Sky+ is £200 I think to buy. If you have 2 or more premium channels then you get the monthly subscription free, or just pay £10 per month if not.
    You can buy and connect another PVR to the standard Sky STB, but there are not that many that will work with Sky. AFAIKthe only other options are either a DVD writer or TiVo.
    If you want dual record then your only option is Sky+

Mark.

3. matt80

matt80
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks a lot for the reply.

The main thing I want to establish is whether its possible to transfer from Sky+ box to my PC, and back again when I want to watch on my TV?

Is it possible to do this, or burn to DVD, from Sky Movies? Are there no legal implications there...?

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
  5. Richard46

Richard46

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    In fact AFAIK all the Freeview PVR's can record two programmes at once apart from the Humax (only one tuner) and the Pace. see here

All these are currently available apart from the Pace (discontinued see ebay) and the Inverto due in a few weeks.

With the Topfield you can record two and watch a third if it is on the same Mux as something you are recording, well thats what I understand anyway not got one (yet). This one also connects to a PC.

Regards Richard