1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Required - Sky to Viera RGB splutter

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by nic@highgroundd, Feb 5, 2005.

1. nic@highgroundd

nic@highgroundd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Last week I had a problem with our Sky box spluttering (digital squelches and blocks) when we moved it from AV2 to AV1 RGB. It was suggested that the scart leads may need replacing with better 'fully wired versions'. Fully wired scarts now purchased (at premium rate) but alas the problem still occurs.

Feeding Sky into AV2 via scart is no problem, switch it to AV1 (even without selecting RBG output on Sky) and the spluttering starts. Note that the PS2 runs happily in AV1 or 2.

'Please' - a man very distraught! - any help much appreciated.

2. nic@highgroundd

nic@highgroundd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Tried Sky through Viera AV4 also and it exhibits the same results. It must be an RGB issue?

Anyone ??

3. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    Nic,
    have you tried a dvd using rgb? If that is ok as well then it would seem unlikely that there is a problem with the VieraS RGB inputs.
    Is it only a problem in these inputs? what is it like through av2 and av3?

It could be some kind of incompatability between the sky digibox and the Viera but this would also seem unlikely as well, although I would not rule it out. Try it with the dvd player anyway and see what happens. If it comes down to it and you are still within warranty you could always call out an engineer for both the tv and sky.

Just a side note, My skydigi box picture breaks up in the evening on certain channels whenever a car goes past the house in a certain direction :laugh: I doubt that this is your problem, but it could be signal related from the box to the Viera.

4. wicket

wicket

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I don't think it is a Sky and a Viera compatibility problem because both mine work fine together.

5. rotty

rotty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is your Sky box a Panasonic by chance?

I had a look at a friends Sky setup as he was complaining about blocking and stuttering on the sound - it seemed to me initially to be a signal strength/dish alignment problem, so I stuck on my Digital Sat meter and he had a near perfect strength and qual on all transponders.

Having a fiddle, and switching the box to output composite as opposed to RGB cleared the problem up ... odd. On investigation, it seems there may be a power supply issue with his box which when switched to RGB causes this blocking/pixellating.

His Sky box is a Panasonic DSB-30

This may or may not be the same problem you are having - worthchecking via another TV using RGB, switching to PAL composite and seeing if the problem goes away - if it does, then a repair/replacement Sky box is in order...

Hope this helps.

Mark.

6. nic@highgroundd

nic@highgroundd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The Sky box is indeed a Panasonic - 'Sky Digibox', model no. 2.1.G (version no. OFO301).

The DVD plays fine through AV4 (RGB) and Viera states AV4/RGB. When Sky goes through the same input it begins to block up and squelch, not so on AV2. Mmmmm.

The Sky box isn't that old, about 2 years.

I'll call Sky and see what the buzzards have to say on it all. In the meantime, if anyone has any info. I'd be happy to hear it.

Thanks!

7. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,615
    Have you checked to see that the connections on the digibox and LNB are nice and snug ?
    Sounds similar to a problem I had with my amstrad box , loose connection on the LNB
    atb
    JS

8. nic@highgroundd

nic@highgroundd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    John, everything is as tight as your hat ... I checked every connection bar none. Sky works fine through AV2 which would suggest something other than a loose cannon.

9. rotty

rotty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you got another TV which will take RGB in via SCART?

Would suggest you try connecting the Sky box to that, set to RGB and see if the problem persists. That would definitely get the Plasma out of the loop. AV2 is not an RGB input (composite and S-video), but AV1 and AV4 are.

I wonder if part of the problem could be the input impedance of the Viera (or whatever set) which is pulling the RGB signal lines 'too hard' for the Sky box to cope with - possibly causing power supply issues further up the line - perhaps in the decoder section of the box.

I recall that some Panasonic digiboxes have issues with certain LNB's - think that was a PSU issue too.

Sky will dump a refurbished replacement box on you for a £65 fee - but you will have to convince the 'engineer' to try a swap out - usual thing is a new LNB and a quick re-align and they push off - which I don't think will solve your problem. If you can show it on two TV's, then all the better.

Hope you get it sorted.

Mark.

10. nic@highgroundd

nic@highgroundd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for your help - LNB is presumably the satellite dish to box cable which is screwed in at the box?

I've performed a small amount of research and it would suggest that certain Panasonic digi-boxes, as you point out, do exhibit or did put out a voltage which causes the problem i.e. its not in line with the tv. I'll report back any findings.

11. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,615
    The LNB is where the cable screws into the dish .If you can get access to it , maybe worth checking