1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help required setting up REL Q100e

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by julie sinar, Mar 26, 2003.

1. julie sinar

julie sinar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I’ve just bought a second hand REL Q100e and would like some advice how to set it up correctly.

I have a Pioneer VSA-E06 and Tannoy 633’s as the front L and R. I have the Tannoys set to large, I have a choice of 3 crossover frequencies: 80hz, 100hz, and 150hz, but I don’t know which one is best to use.

I have it connected up by the high level input and low level input, do I have to connect 2 phono’s into the sub? I was given a doubler to connect to the sub pre out on back of my amp. I need to buy a longer phono lead, does the quality of this lead have any impact on the sound quality? Any recommendations for a reasonably priced decent lead?.

When setting the speaker levels using the SPL meter to 75 dBC the sub seems much quieter than the rest of the speakers, is this normal?

Initial impressions seem that the sub seems quite reserved and less up front than I thought it might be, though the only other experience I have had with subs is my parents cheap Pioneer SV40s sub/sat set up.

Any set up tips appreciated,

Julie

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have found regardless of main speaker size (unless using sats) 80hz works well. 120hz is a bit too high, and directional.

For AV use the Subwoofer pre-out from the AV amp into the low-level on the Rel. Adjust low-level by ear, as I have found a SPL meter cannot read in accurately.

You want to set the volume so basically you can't tell the subwoofer is on whilst watching a DVD- so if you look at the subwoofer whilst watching a film- you can't say- Oh yes it's on because I'm hearing it (ie if it's whoompy you will tell its switched on)

You don't need two phono's, just the single Subwoofer output/low level input.

You can also use high-level (speaker cable) however unless you have two systems, it could send two signals- .1 LFE and mixed main stereo bass so I dunno if this works well.

3. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh the 100E has two settings- Depth and Slam.

Depth sets the crossover lower, so it's less directional. But looses sheer SPL output.

And Slam, sets the crossover higher, it goes louder but can be directional.

Try both out.

For music- Depth

For AV- depends on your taste/room.

4. Marcus Skidd

Marcus Skidd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ixos have a range of subwoofer leads and I use a £15 one for 5 metres which I bought from Hifibitz and that's fine with my Storm.

A properly setup Q100 will sound a lot different to the boom box on the Pioneer as for a start, it shouldn't boom

5. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    Best place for setup advice is REL's own site...there's a simple setup guide for download on the site.
    www.rel.net

6. julie sinar

julie sinar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks to everyone for their suggestions, after tons of tweaking it's beggining to sound really great,

Julie