Help required setting up media streaming

dimmockg

Done a quick search and couldnt find what i was looking for.

Anyway, thought i would give the above a go and when i am on dashboard and go to media, then select Media Center all seems to be ok, but then when i select say Music (from the Media section on dashboard) it gives the option of Hard Drive or Computer, i select the Computer option & it advises:

To connect to a windows based pc, you must first download anad install media sharing software etc etc, please go to: (website)

I click yes to continue and i am then advised that no PC's can be found with media sharing software, then i test the connection and it gets as far as PC Selected and status is failed - now im stuck!!

I am running windows vista premium and i thought that media player/media centre enabled media sharing?

cheers

RockSteddie

You need to make sure Media sharing is actually enabled.

The only way I can remember from memory is to launch Windows Media Player 11 and under options go to the Library / Media sharing and you should see your 360 listed there. Just tick the box to allow the 360 to connect. Now as I said I'm diong this from memory so some steps may be out, or menu locations wrong but it should hopefuly be enough.

If you've already done the above then maybe your firewall needs configuring on your router or on your 3rd party / windows firewall if you have one activated?

If all else fails try TVersity, it an exellent media server solution :)

dimmockg

thanks guys, media sharing is enabled via WMP so i'm gussing its a firewall issue, do i need to turn these off?

dimmockg

all sorted, disabled norton firewall and works like a dream now, must remember to re-enable it though!

waring192

have you set a passowrd for your windows account? I had huge trouble trying to get it to work; firewalls etc but in the end it was just not working because i didnt have a pass set for my windows account!

RockSteddie

Turning any firewall off would be a good place to start just to rule out the firewall being the issue.

I take it your PC can see your 360 from within WMP but not the other way around?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung HW-Q800A Soundbar & Rotel Michi X3 Reviews + TV show and Movie News & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom