Help required re DVD/VCR Combi

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by fionstod, Feb 4, 2009.

1. fionstod

fionstod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there!

I am hoping someone will be able to assist me with this query...

My Mum is looking to buy my Stepdad a DVD/VCR Combi for his birthday... As a result of where she lives they no longer receive tv via an analogue tuner and she has had to get Sky put in. She currently has a Sky+ box and a seperate dvd and vcr player.

The reason she wants to buy a DVD/VCR Combi is so that they can copy some of the programmes they have saved on Sky+ on to DVD's to pass on to others, keep for future reference, etc.

She would also like to transfer programmes she has previously recorded on VHS tapes on to DVD. An example of what she wishes to do in this respect is as follows... She is a keen crafter and has many tv recordings on VHS tapes and has quite often said that it would be great if she could transfer parts of these recordings on to DVD as not all of the tv programmes is of interest to her if that makes sense...

Most of the DVD/VCR Combis I have seen have Freeview built in and I just wonder if this would pose a problem in light of the above saga...

I would appreciate any help/guidance in relation to my query.

Fiona

2. ramjet

ramjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +622
  3. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,093
    Welcome to the forum Fiona.

Generally, we only sanction the use of combo machines in cases where there is no existing working VHS machine.

If there a access to a working VHS machine then it is much better to get an ordinary DVDR - for a variety of reasons.

So before going further - What is the position here?

4. fionstod

fionstod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. fionstod

fionstod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If she was to buy a DVD/VCR Combi she would be getting rid of the stand alone VCR and DVD she currrently has...

By just buying a DVDR it doesn't assist in issue of her wishing to transfer VHS tapes to DVD.

6. ramjet

ramjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +622
    buy one of these combi hdd/dvd recorders and use the old vcr to transfer to the hdd , edit the footage and transfer to a dvd disk , its what most of us have already done

once you have done it you will find you dont need the vcr any more , and so if you had a vcr/dvd combi you would make half of it redundant

and these combis can give problems in transferring from tape to disk , with less control , so I would forget a vcr/dvd combi and get a hdd/dvd combi , and use the existing vcr for the tape transfers using a connecting cable

Last edited: Feb 4, 2009
  7. fionstod

fionstod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think she would need a player with HDD facility as she has Sky+... Is that not correct?

I think what you are trying to suggest seems quite logical but whilst I am a good 20 years older I don't know how to do this so she wouldn't have a clue...

8. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,093
    Hi Fiona

We are obviously talking at cross-purposes here to an extent.

The point both ramjet and I are trying to make is that experience shows that it is much better to transfer from a separate VCR than it is from a combo machine.

I know that goes against what you might expect, but better results are actually obtained using 'separates' plus perhaps more importantly there are many fewer transfer problems.

Combos are very restrictive in the transfer process and if problems are encountered [ and they often are ] then they are insurmountable.

The VCR need only be kept in the system until the VHS transfers are completed and then they it be discarded.

9. ramjet

ramjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +622
    no fiona , its not correct

your understanding of the older technology is clouding your judgement of the newer technology

forget tapes and the vcr , just buy a dvd/hdd combi , transfer the tapes from the old vcr to the new combi using a connection lead , and then use the new hdd/dvd dvdr combi to transfer from sky plus to the hdd where necessary , and also use the internal tuners of the dvdr to archive programmes from the terrestrial channels , leaving the sky plus dealing with the sky programmes only ( or ignore the internal tuners if they are not being used )

Last edited: Feb 4, 2009
  10. fionstod

fionstod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In respone to Ramjet and Gavtech last postings... If I am understanding what you are saying I can put for example a vhs tape into the current stand alone VCR and transfer it to HDD on new HDD/DVDR with a cable - yes? If so, presumably I would be transferring the whole vhs recording and couldn't edit this - yes?

Re Sky+... There are some programmes that my Stepdad has recorded on here that he would like to copy and pass to his brother who does not have Sky... Is this something we could do with the new HDD/DVDR?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2009
  11. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,093
    Again ... this is another point where the huge bulk of experience of the members on this forum would say otherwise.

Having a hard disc in the unit would make it considerably easier to use.

There is always plenty of help here if she gets stuck.

12. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,093
    Yes to all. Except you would not have to transfer the whole tape- Just as much or as little as you want.

13. ramjet

ramjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +622
    yes you can , and on the hdd recorder you can edit the footage after the transfer , which is why we indicated for you to buy a hdd/dvd recorder

once its on the hdd you edit it until you are happy with it and then transfer to the dvd disk

the same applies for sky too

so you connect both using cables , and transfer the footage onto the hdd , edot and then fastdub to dvd disk

14. fionstod

fionstod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you Ramjet and Gavtech for being so patient... Not easy when you don't understand! Can you recommend a HDD/DVD DVDR Combi that would be suitable for the type of things we have spoken about?

Are HDD/DVD DVDR Combis compatiable with most VCRs for the type of transferring I would be looking to do?

Is the transferring and editing a simple process? Sounds very difficult and complex...

15. ramjet

ramjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +622
    the models to look for are in that link I gave you in post 2

copying from vcr to hdd is no harder than if you copied a tape from vcr ro vcr

you connect up the 2 using a suitable lead , select the av channel on the recorder , press play on the first one and record on the second , having chosen the record speed and anything else required

follow the manual for editing the footage , then fast dub to a dvd

it can get more complex than the above but thats it in simple terms

the same applies to sky plus , pressing play on the programme and record on the recorder

16. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,093
    You flummoxed me for a moment talking again about combis :).
    We would just call this an HDD equipped DVDR.

DVDR's will record from any VCR.

I would tend to recommend the Panasonic EX768 for this job... because it is the simplest machine on the market to operate and is good quality.

17. fionstod

fionstod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is that the Panasonic DMR EX768?

Does the cable you refer to come with it?

What is the HDMI connection?! Is that the cable?

18. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,093
    Yes - Apologies for not giving the full number.

You can find more detail of it here.

To connect the the VCR to the DVDR would just require a normal scart. [ Not supplied - but presumably scarts exist in the current setup ]

Connection may get slightly more complicated if you want all the equipment connected at the same time... but would still normally just be scart connections.

The HDMI connection is not necessary.
    It is an optional form of connection to the TV.

19. fionstod

fionstod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that!

Presumably all I would have attached at the one time is the tv to the HDD DVD Recorder and the current stand alone VCR connected to that - yep?

20. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,093
    For purposes of copying tapes yes. That would be OK.

But there are ways of connecting these things together so that sky+ could be included too.

21. fionstod

fionstod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh yeah... She would need that linked up too! Is that all done by cables too?

I guess the main thing would be to transfer the VHS tapes on to the hard drive of this new machine, edit and fast dub them as Ramjet suggested to DVD - yeah?

22. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,093
    Yes - Scarts also.
    Yes - Just as ramjet said.

23. fionstod

fionstod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you so much to both you and Ramjet! It's been much appreciated.

I will need to brief my Mum tomorrow re this option and see what she says...

I might be in touch again...

24. ramjet

ramjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +622
    if you want them both connected , like my brother has , then you use a cheap scart to phono adapter from the back of the vcr to the front line inputs on the recorder ( yellow/red/white cable ) , and a 21 pin scart lead from the satellite box to the rear input scart of the recorder. then you can select the input that is required using the recorder remote control

or connect the vcr using a scart lead , dub the footage over , then connect the sky box instead

the only difference being we use the sony models and not panasonic , but either will do , or pioneer

25. fionstod

fionstod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that!

So, if I was to do the latter... Sky+ would be connected to tv and HDD DVDR connected to VCR via scart - yeah?

I take it you can connect/disconnect Sky+ or VCR as and when you are transferring respective programmes - yeah?

Will the manual for these HDD DVDR's advise you how to do all this recording and connecting of cables?!

26. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,093
    Yes they will...although you will probably get better connection advice here, as they are not interested in being helpful with other makers equipment.

It would be possible to scart them all in a chain. VCR - Sky+ - DVDR - TV and get them all to function as required.

It is better to have devices permanently connected as none of the connection types are designed for frequent connection / disconnection.

27. fionstod

fionstod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks!

So by scarting them all in a chain... Do you mean have scart from VCR to Sky+, scart from Sky+ to DVDR and scart from DVDR to TV?

28. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,093
    Yes. Under those circumstances, when sky+ is switched off, it is possible to use the VCR as it just feeds through from one scart to the other of the sky+ box... and on to the DVDR [ for recording ] and onto the TV for monitoring.

29. fionstod

fionstod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What do you mean by when Sky+ is switched off?

30. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,093
    Literally that ... or perhaps more accurately: switched to standby.

Otherwise when it is ON then the output from the sky+ is sent down the chain instead.