1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Required...playing cd's on a HCPC

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Tim Cooper, Jun 23, 2003.

1. Tim Cooper

Tim Cooper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    What O chaps,
    Right i want to play my cd's via my HCPC (sick-n-tired of mp3's) what's the best way of going about this? (Perleeze no "just stick in the dvd rom" quips:rotfl: )
    I've been farting about with windows media player but couldn't get girder to exit the program when i'd finished playing.
    I also found that the various commands were very hit-n-miss, sometimes the CD would play sometimes it wouldn't.
    I tried Winamp but again very quirky to work with.....gave up :eek:
    Basically i'm after a simple software player for a HCPC, is there such an animal?
    My soundcard is an Audiophile 24/96 sp/dif out to a Tag AV-32R.
    Any hints tips configs' etc ?
    Cheers.
    Tim.

2. meep

meep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Tim,

I'm using WinAmp and girder with great success....

On cd insert, girder recognises an audio CD and launches winamp.

Winamp retrieves Cd CDDB data and tells Girder track name, time, track number and play status. Girder uses this info to display on a LCD.

Girder traps remote (Pronto) signals and can skip tracks forward and back, pause, stop etc.

The only really dodgey bit is hitting the physical CD eject on your drive if Winamp is playing. The program will have a fit though I've written some nifty girder windowing routines to get over this.

Right now, my HTPC behaves almost exactly like a CD player in terms of functionality.

I could forward you my girder scripts if you like. Designed to work with Winamp 2.x. (it would be the weekend before I could do that though as I'd need time to tidy up and comment my sloppy code!).

Don't give up - it's neat when it works - but only you will appreciate it.

Peter

3. Tim Cooper

Tim Cooper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Hi Peter,
    The only winamp i used was version 3 & i d'loaded the gml file from the Girder site & it was next to useless.
    To stop the dreaded Interactual dvd player popping up i have auto insert turned off with the aid of Tweak UI the trouble with that is Tweak UI doesn't distinguish between audio & dvd playback, how do you overcome this?
    I would love to try your winamp setup on my HCPC could you email me your GML & CCF?
    Thanks.
    Tim.
    PS, your cinema really looks the business & i'm glad to see that you decided to hang the PJ from the ceiling at last.....nice very nice in fact:D

4. meep

meep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Tim,

I'll get you something by the weekend. I need to have a look at the config again to answer your questions.

Thanks for the nice words about our set-up!

Peter

5. IanAG

IanAG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How hard is it to code the girder files. I had a brief look at it but different have the time then to get into it.

It sounds like it can do everything once setup properly!

6. meep

meep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Ian,

Depends where you're coming from.

Girder is pretty easy to set up. The program itself is just a shell. It's designed to take input events which can be set up to trigger output events.

Beyond that, everything is configurable. It uses a plug-in architecture to enable and configure input and output modules. For example, you can click on the IR module to get the programe to accept IR commands via an IR receiver. Then, build a response to a specific command which might, for example, launch a program etc.

Once you get it set up accepting IR signals, you'll have it launching and closing applications in minutes. There's a resonable tutorial and a very comprehensive website with the ubiqutous user forum where all likely questions will have been answered.

As you get into the program more, it becomes a bit of a black art. Setting up the DVDSpy device plug-in, for example, is a task in itself but onec there, it's a magic component that can pass Girder lots of information about the inerted disc and can query different programs for contnet information etc.

Then, there's LUA scripting. This is a complete scripting language which includes standard logic (if..then constructs etc.) as well as string manipulation capabilities etc.

Girder works on many different levels and, as you say, it can more or less do everything - all that's required is a little patience.

I should state that I'm a computer programmer and so this kind of stuff comes naturally. However, if you can program a Pronto or similar, I'd imagine you could pick it up pretty quickly.

Peter

7. IanAG

IanAG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply Peter. Sounds like it is worth investing some time in.

I have a little experience in programming (C mainly) but pick most things like this up easily.

Tim, is there any reason why you need to use winamp 3 over 2.9? 2.9 is a much more stable and mature program, when I used 3 I found it wasn't a patch on the previous version. It may have come on a little since then though.

8. Tim Cooper

Tim Cooper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Hi Ian,
    Had no choice unless i can find version 2.9 i didn't look to hard though:)

Peter: Girder IMHO is as intuative as a dead cabbage leaf :devil: for us (non) programmers.

Cheers
    Tim

9. IanAG

IanAG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here you go mate: v2.9, the link is at the top right of the website;).

10. meep

meep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Hmm,

I've had a good deal of success in the past getting cabbage leaf implementations up and running. You need to use a robust object oriented environment like C++ or, at a stretch, Java. If you manage to build the class properly, you can get an entire cabbage up and running no bother. (your local garden centre might have some public libraries available to give you a head start.)

If that seems a bit daunting, you could always start small and try to get a brussels sprout built in a higher level scripting language; VBscript or Javascript should do it nicely - and it'll be web enabled!

Peter

11. Tim Cooper

Tim Cooper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Hi Chaps,
    I've managed to get hold of Winamp 2.9 & an excellent GML from Girders website, basically it works a treat, well pleased (thanks Ian for the tip off;) ) it doesn't start automatically but is reliable enough for me not to have the PJ on when playing cd's.
    My next problem is how to configure ASIO i've downloaded the latest version & the Zip contains some japenese notes (helpful) the ASIO DLL & the source code all unzipped to Winamps plugin folder (although the source code still sits in it's own folder is this correct) the DLL resides with the rest of the plugin DLL's.
    I've highlighted the ASIO DLL in Winamps plugin section in preferences & configured ASIO to upsample to 96khz, but Winamp & my Tag still display the sample rate at 44.1khz, what am i doing wrong? can anyone point me in the right direction?
    Fanks.
    Tim.

PS Peter maybe i was a bit harsh, so i'll up my opinion of Gider to an aubergine:D :rotfl: :devil:
    I know Girder is capable of so much more than what i use it for, believe me i've spent many (frustrating) hours farting about with it. I need a teacher;)

12. Tim Cooper

Tim Cooper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    No one use ASIO then:confused:
    Tim

13. meep

meep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Sorry Tim, no.

It's on the list for the future but I'm not bothered until i get a seperate 2 channel integrated amp for stereo. Then, I'll have a great interest in obtaining best possible analog out from my Delta 410. Given the state of m-audio dribvers, however, I'm loath to even thinking about finding a set of ASIO drivers for that card that won't destroy the rest of my system.:rolleyes:

Japanese, you say? I'd invest in some linguaphone tapes if I was you :lesson: :)

Peter

14. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    No need for ASIO with RME cards. :)

15. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    So does that mean that you can use any old media player not just some thing like winamp and its plugin?

16. Tim Cooper

Tim Cooper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Hi Jeff,
    Do the Audiophile 24/96 drivers bypass the kthingy? You bored with your RME yet?
    Thanks for all the help BTW chaps:smashin:
    Cheers.
    Tim.

17. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    Pretty sure I'm using the japanese asio plugin and the cdreader plugin at the moment. There seems to be some conjecture that its best not to touch the data at all and just get it to your reciever as is . Some people seem to prefer upsampling . Though I'm just using cds at the moment until I get my wireless network up and running (hopefully some time this century!)

18. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    The MAudio drivers can bypass the kmixer but only if instructed to do so by the apllication, which is what asio does. I'm using the RME for DVD playback now which means I need a new one for my dedicated audio player. I'll just have to get the new model. :smoke:

19. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    Thats good to know as I also am running with an maudio 2496.