Help required on 5.1

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by McT9, Feb 3, 2009.

1. McT9

McT9
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I am no audio expert and have very limited knowledge on the speaker systems.

I bought an Onkyo TX-SR875 AV Receiver with a pair of KEF iQ9 fronts about 6 months ago. I am very happy with both of them. Now I want to upgrade the system to 5.1.

there wouldnt be any problems if I had enough budget for the upgrade and I would go for KEF again for sub, center and surround. But the fact is I have limited budget and can not afford at this time.

I would like to ask if it is technically possible to upgrade the system with more affordable speakers like wharfdale ? I have heard KEFs are 8 ohms and wharfdales 6 ohms. Does this create any problem?

If it is possible, does it make sense to go for them? I am not a big big fan of home theather and I will use the system occasionally for DVD (3-4 times a month) and will mostly use for TV which I think will not add any value.

2. ChrisAV

ChrisAV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    Hi, and welcome to AVForums

- Ideally you want a Kef centre to match your fronts.

- sub definitely doesn't need matching, rears may benefit slightly but do not necesarily need to be matched to the fronts

- yes, you can mix 6 and 8 Ohm speakers. 6 Ohm will make you amp work a little harder but shouldn't cause a problem at sensibe levels

Is it worth it? Well I have 5.0 surround at the moment (no sub, yet) and it definitely improves the movie (and game) experience. There are other sources with 5.1 (I have Virgin and some HD movies have 5.1, some Sky is also 5.1).

Chris

3. Scott_Mac

Scott_Mac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +651
    What is the budget?

Would you consider buying used?