Help required: Home theatre setup Sony DAV-DZ260/BRAVIAw4500/PS3/SkyHD

walkingtripod

Standard Member
Hello all,

apologies in for the banality of this inquiry, but I am awaiting delivery of the above gear and only partially have an idea about how to set them up so I can get 5.1 surround out of the HD box and PS3. I believe the DZ260 only has a single optical in connector.

My plan is thus:

Connect SkyHD Box and PS3 to the TV via separate HDMI cables
Connect SkyHD Box and PS3 to the DZ260 via separate Optical cables

My questions are these:

1) Will the above setup work?
2) If not, where am I going wrong
3) Do I need to connect the TV direct to the DZ260?
4) Is there some sort of adaptor available that will allow me to hook up more than one device to the DZ260 as it only has 1 optical port?

Many thanks in advance

Last edited:

dwhite

Well you already state its only got one optical input, so I'm not sure how your gonna connect two optical sources to it without a switch.

Alternatively, I believe the DAV also has a digital coax input so you could get a convertor instead.

If you want to use the DVD of the DAV you will need to connect that to the tv also.

walkingtripod

Standard Member
Thank you for the swift response dwhite...

would I be correct in assuming therefore that if I get an optical switch and connect everything up as outlined, I'll be good to go?

(I'm not bothered about DVD from the DZ as I'll be investing in blu-rays to play from the ps3)

dwhite

Yes your cabling will be fine. Make sure you select the tv input on the DAV to listen to the surround.

Happy Trucker

Novice Member
Don't know if this will work (maybe those with more experience can advise) but the 4500 series TVs seem to have an optical out. If the 2 sources are connected via HDMI, would this optical out on the TV, if connected to the amp, provide 5.1 sound for both sources? Thus eliminating the need for a switch?

Happy Trucker

Novice Member
Rats. Should read the thread title closer. Just realised one of the sources is SKY HD. That explains the need for a switch. Why don't TVs with an optical out, provide an in as well? Sorry guys :rolleyes:

dwhite

It wouldn't work anyway Happy Trucker,as most tv only provide a stereo output via optical out (not 5.1)

walkingtripod

Standard Member
Took delivery of the tv, amp and ps3 today. PS3 hooked up to tv via HDMI and that works fine. PS3 connected to the amp via optical in.

However I can't get any sound out of the surround system when I've got a blu-ray disc playing in the PS3. I know the amp and speakers work fine as I calibrated them first, and DVD played from the amp as a source produces sound just fine.

Where am I going wrong?

dwhite

Have you set the PS3 to output audio over optical and not HDMI?

dwhite

That was quick, are you using the optical switch, with Sky? Does sky work?

walkingtripod

Standard Member
Not using the switch as I'm waiting for my skyhd box, so the only input to the amp is from the ps3. It would only complicate matters at this stage!

Frustratingly the manual is next to useless, it barely even mentions the optical in port :mad:

dwhite

Right back to basics. Please don't be offended if I say something thats obvious:):)

Are you selecting the TV input on the DAV?

Is the DEC. mode set to A.F.D. STD. (Press setup repeatedly until DEC mode is shown then adjust, if necessary)?

Is there a little red light shown at the end of the optical cable if you unplug it from the DAV?

walkingtripod

Standard Member
Once again you are a legend! Stuck it on tv input and hey presto! No offence taken, I'm a numpty at this sort of thing.

Thanks very much mate :thumbsup:

dwhite

Ok thank you and just to give you the answer to your next problem. Remember to switch the optical switch when you want to listen to sky (once installed).:D

zman

Novice Member
Apparently the new Sky HD boxes have optical and coax connections so you may not even need to use the switch as the DZ260 also has optical and coax. You could use optical for the PS3 and coax for Sky HD.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs and Projectors of 2020, plus AV, TV Show & Movie News & Reviews
Top Bottom