Help required for DIY AV cabinet for my ONKYO 875 amp

Discussion in 'AV Stands, Cabinets, Seating & Furniture' started by mephisto123, Feb 5, 2009.

1. mephisto123

mephisto123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi folks, looking for some advice/help. I have been searching for a unit to keep all my AV stuff in. The big problems I have are my ONKYO 875 amp and my HTPC. Both have a depth of about 45 cm. Having no luck, I have decided to build my own. I am looking for a place that sells shelf supports/deviders like the ones that are in the attached pic that I have pulled from fleabay.
    Thanks in advance for all help :thumbsup:

Attached Files:

2. rcoundon

rcoundon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6

Before you do, you might want to check out the Minsk range at Argos
    613/3328 Minsk Large Plasma TV Bench.

They do a two drawer and a one drawer. I have one of each side by side and my Onkyo 875 fits nicely in the gap.

3. sharkdiver

sharkdiver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Mephisto,
    I have an optimum2000 av rack I bought over 10 years ago and like many these are modular.
    I've added additional shelves in the past and have also increased shelf height to allow a centre speaker to sit under a TV. They are very sturdy and come with spikes you can fit in the feet for better isolation.
    I had a 36" sony CRT (100Kgs) on it for a good few years so they are fairly solid bits of kit. No I don't work for them and yes they can be expensive.
    A number of dealers can order parts for you but IIRC I found someone selling just the pillars/supports on ebay, again not cheap but worth a look.
    There are lots of different styles of pillars: chrome; stainless; wood effect and multiple glass shelf styles and sizes.
    They consist of a threaded insert in the pillar and a threaded rod that screws into the pillars to link them together, the rod has a rubber sleeve that goes over it to protect the glass shelf.
    The glass shelves simply have holes drilled into them to allow the rod to pass through and connect to the next pillar, top cap or foot.
    Web address for optimum is Optimum 2000 International - Optimum International, Home Page, audio, hi-fi, television, stands, modular, non-modular
    Optimum modular range is the one I am referring to.
    If your intending to build a custom unit then I'm guessing your going to get a glazier to make specific glass shelves to your spec?
    HTH

Last edited: Feb 5, 2009