1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Required for Choosing Wide Screen TV

Discussion in 'TVs' started by aqureshi, Oct 7, 2001.

1. aqureshi

aqureshi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I wonder if some one can help me. I have read in this forum that Dolby Digital or Dolby Prologic TVs are for those people who don't have decent Amp and speakers.
    I am looking for a Wide screen TV(32 or 36 inch). At present I have Marantz Receiver and M73 speakers.
    Any one who can recommend a good TV for my setup.
    Do I need to pay extra and buy the Dolby Prologic and at the end don't use their speakers. What I meant was that I could get the Dolby Prologic effect from my receiver.

I am thinking of buying Philips 36pw9525.
    Does any body know where I can buy this at a reasonable price?

Any help/advice will be appreciated.

Cheers

Asad

2. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,490
    Hi Asad

I had a early 32inch Philips which I was delighted with, and swore that my next TV would be a 36 inch. Just before Christmas last year it developed some un-repairable faults. So I started looking for a new one all 36s, and took my time it was down to a Philips or the Sony then luckily I saw a Loewe albeit a 32 incher and not having a stretch mode for 4:3 (has one for WS) I was taken by the picture quality and colour, and now very happy with it.

By the way you don’t need a TV with a built-in surround processor if you already have built in your receiver, also the TV’s would not be as good your separate one. If you do not have one built in get a separate, try a Yamaha 800, it would be better and could be cheaper as most TV makers charge an extra £500 for the surround facility.

Hope this helps you Asad.

:cool: Ruby quartz shades.

3. aqureshi

aqureshi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    thanks for your input.
    Can u recommend any TV for my purpose. I am interested in 32 or 36. Since I posted my mail in the forum I have looked into Toshiba 32 and 36 inches TVs.They look good, but are expensiv. For my need as I said I am primarily interested in icture as I can pass the sound through my Marantz SR5200 Receiver to M73s speaker.
    When I am looking for TV(widescreen) Can I just buy a normal nicam and as my receiver does the Prologic or Dolby Digital, would I be able to obtain all these affect from my receiver. What I mean is Do I need some special features(processing) in the TV.

I hope You understand what I am trying to say.

Cheers

4. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    You don't need any on board sound processing on a TV with a receiver.

As to a TV

Look at the 50Hz Sony IDTVs

Not overladen with gadgets but vey good picture