Help Required for a new technophobe moron

G

Gilly1

Dear All,

I am about looking to buy a 42 inch plasma in the next couple of weeks as my new extension will be near enough finished. I was looking at the Phillips 42pf7520D as it is HD compatible but have seen reviews on here which are not complimentary and is putting me off a little. My second choice was the LG px3rv. Here lies the dilemema.

Can someone explain in real simpleton terms what the HD compatible means for the LG. Does that mean it is HD ready as I am little confused.

If anyone has any other suggestions my requirements are the following. Would like to spend no more than £1500 must be 42". Would like HD ready. Have a Bose lifestyle 18 to connect it to and will be adding Sky+ to it. Do not need a connector for gaming. Also sounds Gay must look nice to keep the wife happy.

Any help or suggestions would be fantastic.

Thanks

If you have the Bose system and Sky+ then look at the offer for the Pansonic PW8 in the Offers section of this forum.

HD compatible means it will accept the signal and display it but it may not show all the resolution, the LG has 480 lines of resolution so it has to miss out some detail. I have not seen the LG but the HD one is getting very good reports (albeit from the same 2 people on here). The panasonic panel is truly stunning and a forum favourite, has been in its various generations for the last 5 years, still my 2nd favourite 42" screen after the PHD8 the 1024x768 version.

I wouldn't personally have the Philips, I loved their CRTs but don't like their flat panels at all.

HD compatible is not HD Ready. An HD Comp. Set doesnt have the necessary resolution to show proper HD signals as is defined. As far as I know it also doesnt have a Digital Input socker i.e. HDMI/DVI.

For a budget of £1500 for a 42" HD Ready set, you would need to look at either the Samsung or you might get a Hitachi for that price. Be warned though you get what you pay for and most realise that for a decent 42" HD Ready set you need to be looking at upwards of £2000. Perhaps you should consider a 37" if you cannot afford the 42".

As far as the samsung goes some have been dissapointed with it and returned it. I compared it to the Panny and the Sky picture was very poor. I dont know what its like with HD.

You need to test these TV's yourself and make you own mind up!

Thanks for the advice. Cannot find the link on this section for the offers. acm you please post it please. Have been reading up on the net for the PW8. Is this another set which is HD compatible. If so I read somewhere you can make it HD readyis that correct.

the Pw8 is HD compatible it doesnt have the necessary resolution to show HD at the proper resolution, it will scale it down to suit the resolution so it will show it but not as defined as it could gave been, had you had a proper HD Ready screen such as the pv500/phd8.

OK I now understand the difference between Hd ready and compatible. If the machine is HD compat and running a HD\ source would it give a better picture than just off sky+ or DVD than it would be running at the moment

i would have thought it would give a better picture than even progressive DVD but im not entirely sure.

thanks youfor the advice. I cannot find the link mentioned above can you point me to it please

Yeah HD on an SD screen will give a much better picture than DVD.

And HD on the SD Panny will also give a much better picture than just about all the other so called "HD READY" screens too.

i cant see how the PE50 will give a better picture with HD than the PV500?

It doesn't.

What I was trying to say without upsetting anyone is look as an SD Panny against an HD screen from Philips, Sony, Hitachi or Samsung and see which one gives the better picture.

I have just sold my Philips 42inch plasma after 6 months. It just wasnt right!

I've bough a 37pv500 and the picture is superb.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom