1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help required choosing Home Theater Reciever/Amplifier

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by -={EtHErZ}=-, Mar 6, 2005.

1. -={EtHErZ}=-

-={EtHErZ}=-
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just bought the following items:

JVC SX-F300WD Floor Standing Speakers
    JVC SX-L3WD Wide Speakers
    JVC SX-LC3WD Center Speaker

They retail for about £600 but i got them for £116!

The only thing is i need to buy an amplifier/reciever, thats no problem, but the JVC SX-F300WD are 3 way speakers, i have never had 3 way speakers before, do i have to have a special kind of amp/reciever and how do i wire them up?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

-={EtHErZ]=-

2. Mango Bob

Mango Bob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Welcome to the forums!

They look like normal three-way speakers to me, you've got a bass driver, mid driver and tweeter on each speaker. This is the same configuration as on my MS906s - you just wire them up normally, the speakers will have internal crossovers to send the correct frequencies to the correct driver.

Would you like amp recommendations too? What's your budget, can you accommodate a full-size amp, will you be listening to music?

3. mhuk05

mhuk05

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +215
    The MS908 is a 3-way speaker. The MS906 doesn't have a woofer, it has two "mid/bass" units and is described as "2.5 way".

4. -={EtHErZ}=-

-={EtHErZ}=-
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you, for being so helpful so far, so let me get this right, my speakers at the moment are 2-way, they have a red and black cable coming out of the back of each of them, my friend has some 3-ways (they are old i think) but they have 2 red wires and 2 black wires, are you saying most 3-way speakers only have 1 black and 1 red? If so then there is no problem!

Thanks again

-={EtHErZ}=-

5. Mango Bob

Mango Bob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do your speakers have one pair or two pairs of connectors? If you have two pairs the speakers are probably bi-wirable, have a look in your manual to see if it describes how to bi-wire the speakers.

You don't have to bi-wire by the way - there should be jumpers connecting the two pairs of terminals so you only have to wire up one pair.

Unfortunately I've not found a manual for your speakers online so can't really advise specifically for your speaker. Can you take a picture of the back of the speaker and post it?

6. Llanowar

Llanowar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As I see it he has only one black and one red connector. So it's really easy, if you have a receiver it's all explained in the manual. But in the end, you only need ONE wire to plug everything to whatever you need to plug it into. Do you have the wires already or do you need to buy them new?

7. -={EtHErZ}=-

-={EtHErZ}=-
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They havnt arrived in the post yet, but im so excited about getting them that i wanted to have everything ready for when they arrive, i will post again within the next week when i recieved the speakers, untill then you seemed to have answered all my questions thank you.