help required choosing between 3 32" lcd

kc88

Standard Member
Hi,

Im looking to buy a 32" lcd, to use mostly for viewing SD (sports) and dvds. I have a budget of £370.

Ive been reading many of the past posts on here and other websites and have narrowed my search down to three tvs, the 32LG3000 (£329.95), 32LG5700 (£349.95) and the LE32B450 (£334.95).

Im leaning more towards the two Lg's, but do not know which i should go for as many previous threads say that the 768 is better than 1080 for watching SD, which would make me choose the lg3000. However the contrast ratio on the lg5700 is far better as well as a quicker response time, which would seem good value for only £20 extra. Some websites say that the samsung has 100hz, but others do not. Would this help for watching SD and sports or not really?

I would really appreciate peoples opinions and reccomendations.

Thanks!

Kit

ChrisGgr

well the two lg's are of basic quality and aim at great sales,though built cheaply.The samsung performance clearly beats the LGs' even if the 5700 is 1080p

boxrick

well the two lg's are of basic quality and aim at great sales,though built cheaply.The samsung performance clearly beats the LGs' even if the 5700 is 1080p

Id say all 3 sets arnt great... the samsung has really terrible sound and slightly better blacks. The lg 3000 has much better sound and much better freeview quality.

But for the money i think you can get a much better television.

ChrisGgr

hmm all these are crappy on sound performance,especially the samsung,but on blacks the B450 is much better

Monarch

Distinguished Member
Despite the Samsung having better blacks I have seen several reports of fairly bad black crush, although I don't think shadow detail etc...is worse than the LGs. Still, I recommend looking at some of the new LGs as the mentioned models are 2008, and the new ones have improved black levels

S Bibby

The LH4000 is a good model too - I have seen the 37 inch in person and it has an impressive picture with a low response time (claimed 3ms). Good viewing angle as well, and I think you will find that is generally the case with LG at the 32 size. I would say that with new models out you should definitely look at some more, I would recommend the Hitachi UTMH70 and Panasonic X10/15, Sharp D44 for 720p. Then there are a few 1080p panel models as well like the Sony, Samsung and Sharp D65/DH77. Haven't seen the DH77 myself but there is a thread on here about it - only available in John Lewis I think. I'm also sure the guy buying the LG 32 inch something (ValiantSaint) sent it back for a Panasonic X15 and was somewhat more pleased.

Edit: Also there is a new Sony model I saw this evening called the S5500 which is available at 720p only but with a good number of connections and features (Bravia Engine 2). There are other Sony models but this is the starting point for 32 inch. The Sharp by contrast is cheaper like the Hitachi but without much in the way of processing, the Hitachi has Picture Master. Having said that, only the Panasonic X15, G10 Sharp DH77 and LG LH4000, 5000 and 7700 have 100hz as standard features. The Philips 32PFL7403D is also available with 100hz (Natural Motion HD) and Pixel Plus processing plus 4 (!) HDMI. Luckily, it also doesn't have the amblight. http://www.richersounds.com/product/lcd-tv/philips/32pfl7403d/phil-32pfl7403d Sharp D44 spec is here - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sharp-LC-32D44-Widescreen-Ready-Freeview/dp/B0016B60VU. It looks decent and reliably made but I believe the newer Sharps like the D65 have a quicker response time (D65 - 4ms, D44 - 6ms).

There are some models by Toshiba but I haven't really seen them much. I think the XV set uses a Samsung/Sony panel but I couldn't swear to it because they use a few different types.

Hope this gives you some help or just an idea.

Last edited:

Monarch

Distinguished Member
Sound advice Bibby, although there appear to be mixed views on the viewing angles on the LH4000, viewing angles appear to improve up the range, particularly at the LH7000 (which is also 100Hz). To add the S5500 is the replacement for last years V4000 which I didn't think much of but it uses the BE2 engine, like the V4500 did last year so it should be an improvement as the V4500 was pretty decent, I've seen mixed reports as to how great the improvement is over the V4000 though (and many were happy with their V4000s). And the LG LH5000 series has 200Hz, it has been fairly highly praised by Trusted Reviews but, as always, it has its downfalls too, just like the 200Hz Sonys did. I've seen the Sharp D44 and it has a very good freeview picture and handles motion well, I would also recommend it, but wait to see what the 2009 replacement has to offer.

Just a side note, VallientSaint was pleased with his X15, but mainly in the sound department, he was initially dissapointed with the picture compared to the LH7000, although he got it sorted out, I haven't seen all of these sets side by side so I can't see which is best, but I do think very highly of the new LGs and Panasonics, especially for said uses

ChrisGgr

the S5500 is really much improved.Main area of improvement is motion of course due to BE2

S Bibby

Just one more thing on the 720 Vs 1080 issue that might interest you OP (original poster) - I think there is an input option for 1080/24p (or FPS, Frames Per Sec) which will work with Blu Ray. I don't know how good this is but it is apparently a recommended feature, perhaps to avoid so-called upscaling problems. The older Sony V4000 was quite decent and got good reviews but didn't have this feature. I don't know if the Sony S5500 or any of the other 720p sets do this but it might be worth checking out (the 720 line Plasmas certainly seem to have it). A good reference point for me has been the Future Publishing mags like What Video/Hi Def TV and Home Cinema Choice. Also What Hifi's buyers guide has a column for 1080/24p which is ticked off if the set has this feature. I think this is usually mentioned in their reviews under technical specification.

Cheers, Simon

The latest video from AVForums

65-inch LG C1 Review coming soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom