1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HELP REQUIRED! Bad experiences with Philips 28PW6515

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Alexb, May 23, 2002.

1. Alexb

Alexb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone

I unfortunately purchased a Philips 28PW6515 in January (I did not know about this forum back then). It a wasn't long before I noticed that all vertical lines on the TV bent to the right, but I initially blamed this on my lousy TV reception. After hooking it up to a DVD player I realised it was a proper fault, contacted my retailer and it was collected for repair. Its now in the workshop for the third time, and they are claiming that there is nothing wrong with it. There are also a couple of other probelms like the picture is too wide in widescreen mode (i lose the left of the picture) and S-Video quality through the SCART socket is awful.

Can everyone who has had these (or similar problems) with this set (or even the 32in version) please add to this thread, saying what problems they had and what they did about it. At this rate I might have to try and prove that this is a common fault in order to get a replacement / refund.

Your help is really appreciated!

Thanks

Alex

p.s. what would people suggest i try and replace it with?

2. poggs

poggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    got the 32 version. same things. There is a geometry problem which cant be adjusted apparently. all my vertical lines are wavy. no wonder I got it cheap from ebay!

Picture seems sharp to me except for the geometry. Gotten used to the pants geometry now.

Philips states that thats just the way the set is!

3. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had 2 of these sets and BOTH had the problems you describe, plus others.

I have since learned that the PW6515s actually have a design flaw - so they won't be able to fix it! It's bad by design!

The geometry is truly diabolical on the PW6515. All vertical lines bend to the right - it's awful. If you look carefully at shots where the camera pans left or right, you will notice additional geometry flaws - you will see that it looks like the picture is floating on the ocean, i.e the picture ripples!!

I was shocked that my second PW6515 had exactly the same geometry errors as the first! However, it also had additional faults. The focus in all four corners was also very blurred and the set also made loads of cracking noises throughout the time it was on. So in this respect the 2nd set was far worse than the first.

In the end I gave up and got a completely different TV and the difference in geometry was amazing! (Look at any other widescreen TV and you'll be shocked at the difference between that TV and the PW6515!). Don't accept what they tell you - the PW6515 has the WORSE geometry I have ever seen on a widescreen TV. Demand a different set or a refund!

Glad you got it cheap on eBay poggs!

Soon after I returned my 2nd PW6515, Dixons, Curry's and Comet all dropped the price they were selling these TVs at by over £100.... interesting eh?

Regarding replacing this set, I don't know how much you are looking to spend.... but I got a JVC AV28R25 after the PW6515 and had to return that for it's dark and dull RGB pictures (do a search for "AV28R25"). I now have a Sony KV28LS60 and it's great. My review can be found here: http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=37326

Good luck :)