Help required - 58" tv

markieee

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello there. in advance I thank anyone that helps. here is a summary of my position :-

1. I have a 55 inch entry level panasonic which I purchased 4 years ago (£500 spent) picture quality is poor, but I know the market has moved a lot since then
  2. I would like to spend a bit more money this time to go for better quality, but I don't have a large budget
  3. I want 58" screen so a bit bigger, but not too big. would suit the room
  4. I have no idea what I am looking at. Company market QLED/OLED as the product to look for, but I would be in the real entry level.
to give you an idea, I am currently looking at Samsung QE58Q60TA or Panasonic TX-58HX800B

would really appreciate any feedback or guidance before I buy something thats not up to standard again

58s come with a VA panel, so not so good in bright rooms or if viewing at an angle

This the comment in the 2019/2020 buying guide on 58s

At 58" this year there are a couple of budget oriented models from Samsung and Philips, together with Panasonic. These are not good value compared to 55" models so I haven't included them in the guide. I cannot justify recommending these models compared to other budget options, the Samsung 58RU7100 is listed as £200 more than the equally performing Hisense B7100. However much the same as 60 and 70" sizes this size TVs will for sure be using VA type innolux 60hz panels (Same as Panasonic GX700/GX800) so we know they use VA type panels if you for whatever reason you want to spend more money, for less

thank you. so the entry level samsung QLED i listed above wouldnt be value vs quality? Are you saying that I should consider 55" or 65" and nothing inbetween?

That’s the implication of the guide, did you read it?
QLED is LCD tech, not something different like OLED (Samsung marketing department working to confuse). So it’s not an entry level model.
What is your budget, you don’t say?

Thanks Vicster I will read the guide in more detail. Budget is sub £1k

thanks

Thanks Vicster I will read the guide in more detail. Budget is sub £1k

thanks
The Sony 55XH9506 gets a lot of praise hereabouts, see the guide and just reduced to 1k

Around black Friday you should be able to get a oled for about a grand. The lg bx is not far off that price now

Decide between 55" and 65" first. Don't bother with anything inbetween.

If you can fit a 65" so far the XH9505 looks like a good deal. As does the 65" LG BX.

At 55" there are also some discounts surfacing, but don't worry. I'll have my new guide out next week with all the best deals.

Thank you. I’ve used the Currys app which shows you what the tv will look like in your room and I’ve decided on a 65 for certain

Already some very good advice given. What kind of budget are we talking?

If you want to spend as little as possible but still get a high end TV, the XH9505 is looking very good.
If you have more to spend, the LG BX OLED will trump it, but I'd wait in case there's a bigger reduction on that TV in the future.

At £1300 and £1600 respectively both TVs are great value, the Sony is selling for less in some places, so if you can get a price match for £1200 even better.

For example: Sony KD65XH9505BU 65` 4K UHD Smart TV - B Energy Rated - 4K Ultra HD - Televisions with a 5 year warranty. The likes of John Lewis, Richer should price match this.

Thanks - preferably £1k, but for the right product I could push

how does this hisense stack up against the sony? Really appreciate everyone’s help

65U8QFTUK

With a more limited budget you will have to make more compromises with a TV. The Hisense you picked out is a good choice if you are looking for a TV to display HDR content impressively for as little money as possible, but its also a bit rough around the edges in other areas.
Smart TV, upscaling and motion isn't as polished as other TVs.

But its all about compromises. The obvious contender to that model is the Sony XH9005, but this model isn't really a great HDR TV compared to the Hisense because it doesn't get very bright.

This review may help you decide whether its suited for you or not:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom