Help requested: Remote simultaneously controlling multiple boxes

Geekay

I don't know what to do about this. My father is elderly and gets incredibly confused with controlling the TV (from as simple as turning it on!), so the problem I'm about to describe is quite a bit more problematic than it might sound.
He has a Humax Freesat box (it's quite an old one - not sure of the model), controlled by a Harmony Remote (the bottom of the range model).
He really wanted the football (he's a season ticket holder at Chelsea, and also bored out of his mind at the moment because he is shielding).
So I investigated for him and the best option for the Sky football rights appeared to be a Monthly Now TV Sports subscription which he purchased. To play it through the TV I used an old BT YouView box (also manufactured by Humax). It's not connected to a TV aerial, but I've installed the Now TV app on it for him. It seems to be working well. (and he even seems to be able to turn it on)
The problem, is that when using the BT YouView remote control - for example when turning the box on, it also controls the Humax Freesat box. Is there any way of dealing with this?
The biggest problem it's causing is that the Harmony remote control is getting out of sync with the power on/off status of the Freesat box and so he's having trouble controlling things (going through the Harmony help options to resolve the sync issues is problematic for him - he can't work that out). But in addition, today for example, he ended up with subtitles on the Freesat box (presumably caused when he was doing something else on the YouView box) and couldn't remove them.
I haven't added the YouView box to the Harmony remote as I fear it will confuse things (and he's only expecting to subscribe to the football for 2 months), however even if I did, it wouldn't, I presume, solve the issue.
Any thoughts appreciated.

Geekay

Just to say, this was the perfect solution. Thankyou.
Only additional step required was to recalibrate the Harmony Remote with the Freesat box.

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
Just to say, this was the perfect solution. Thankyou.
Only additional step required was to recalibrate the Harmony Remote with the Freesat box.
You are welcome, good news you have a solution :)

The latest video from AVForums

LG CX 4K OLED TV Review: The best TV of 2020?
Top Bottom