Help requested on headphone selection

Dankeech

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
Thanks in advance for any advice you provide. My AV system is in my bedroom, and I've recently decided to upgrade from my ageing and battered Sony MDR-V300 headphones (Purchased a good 5 or 6 years ago I guess).

I'm looking for a set of not uncomfortable headphones that I can use whilst watching a film in bed. For this, I'm figuring I do need the 3m headphone lead I'm used to (I'd also prefer not to go wireless due to battery concerns etc.). Realistically, I'd probably wear them for 2 hrs at a time, maybe up to 4 if I'm having a late one.

They'll be mainly for watching films, but I'd like something that sounds good for a wide range of music, preferably with a nice full sound, but I'm no bass addict and would hope the headphones wouldn't overcook that (unlike HD50 Sennheissers I had a while back)

Any advice much appreciated, oh and my budget is about £80

Thanks,

Dan.

Give the Bose Triport Headphones a look.

Dont think you will find a more comfortable pair of Headphones on the market. Sound ace aswell

A lot under your budget but seems to have good reviews if you search against RP-HTX7

Amazon £14.74

A lot under your budget but seems to have good reviews if you search against RP-HTX7

Amazon £14.74

I've decided to give these a go - seems a great price and they look nice too. If they don't work out, I'll give them to my daughter to use when she's practicing her Piano. If they do work out, I'll get a second pair!

Thanks.

you can try a pair of the Denon AH-D1000 headphones.

they sound superb at the price, and the bass is far from overpowering. plus the Denons are THE lightest, most comfortable headphones you can buy at the price.

they are available at www.hifibitz.co.uk

give them serious consideration.

you could always try a pair of Alessandro MS-1 headphones, which at the current exchange rate, is a bargain.

http://www.alessandro-products.com/headphones.html

Thanks all for the advice so far.

I've elminated the Panasonic RP-HTX7, purely on looks alone as the style of them's definitely not my thing.

I'm looking more closely at the Denon & Bose especially, and also considering the modified Grado's.

Both the Denon and the Bose fall in at around the same price, both coming with a headphone extension cord making them long enough for my needs which is handy. I would have preferred a single 3m lead, but it's no dealbreaker and I guess that'd restrict my choices down too much.

It's unlikely that I'll be able to demo both pairs so what would be the main differences I should be considering?

Also, I heard the lower end Grado's sound great, but are uncomfortable and also of cheap external build quality. Is this correct/resolved in the modified versions?

I need also to ensure that a limited amount of noise escapes from the headphones, so I guess this means a closed cup design? If so, at this point I think I might have to rule out the Grado's...

I've also heard Positive things about Beyerdynamic. Any opinions or suitable options from them? I've seen the DT660's online for under £100. They're closed design, have a 3m cord and seem to be higly rated with a frequency response going as low as 5hz (Perhaps a good thing for sub bass in movies)

I know it's a lot of questions, but really appreciate any answers you have and the advice given so far.:smashin:

Dan.

The Denon's are in a completely different league than the Bose. If you search head-fi.org for "Denon D1000 impressions" you'll find a pretty big thread with lots of happy customers. They're really good headphones.

I have the bigger brothers, Denon D2000 and I love them to bits. Best headphones I've ever used.

The Denon's are in a completely different league than the Bose.

I wouldnt have said that personally. They are both great headphones. Its just down to the sound that you like.

Not much noise escapes from the Triports. If you are listening to music at sensible volume you would have trouble hearing anything from a meter or so away.

A good set of closed headphones will be next to silent to the person sitting next to you let alone 1m away.

The Grado line and even most of the Senns won't be able to pass the 'do not disturb the person sitting next to me' test.

Headphones like the Senn HD25 are reasonable for this as are the PCX250.

From the recommendations above I'd say the Denons would be good and personally I'd avoid the Bose.

I've got to admit I am leaning towards the Denons, but have hear some reviews that say althought they are extremely comfortable they give falso space to the sound so much sounds like you're in a cave-type effect to some degree.

After much googling I've got a shortlist of:

Denon AH-D1000
+ Extremely comfortable
+ Good sound for the money
+ Like the styling
- Cord length doesn't match needs even with extension which is too long,
so extra cost is needed for a suitable extension
- Sound perhaps not for everyone
- Possibly need a headphone amp to take proper advantage due to high
impedence? (120 ohm)

Beyerdynamic DT660
+ Good spec inc low bass extension so will capture sub-bass available on
film soundtracks
? I've no idea how good these are
+ Like the styling
+ Low impedence so no need for a headphone amp
+ 3m cord

Sennhieser HD555
+ Low bass extension to get movie sub-bass (not that important)
+ Supposedly very good according to my local retailer
+ Very comfortable by all accounts
+ Replaceable parts
+ 3m cord
+ I like the styling

I've ruled out:
Panasonic RP-HTX7 - Wasn't keen on style at all, but that's just tastes, I can see why others like them.

Bose Triport - Really cannot remember why I ruled them out, but there was a good reason for it for me to take of shortlist. Can't for life of me remember why, but it was a deal-swinger.

Grado SR60 or SR80 - Open-cup and not comfortable enough.

Sennheiser HD25 - Realise it was this pair of headphones I had an eventually sold. I could not get a minute's comfort from these and also the bass was too heavy. Good probably for DJing, but I couldn't live with them for hifi.

With the headphones I've shortlisted I'm really keen to know what the Beyerdynamics are like as there's a number of reasons why they seem to fit the bill other than sound quality which I don't know.

I'm also keen to know if anyone's heard two or even all of these to gauge some opinions.

As always, your advice is really appreciated.:smashin:

Dan.

Hi.

You might want to consider the Alessandro MS 1. They are modded Grado Sr 80's and are reckoned to sound like the Sr 125's. They cost $99 / £50 and that is shipped. you might get stung with import tax though.

http://www.alessandro-products.com/headphones.html

I have just picked up a set of goldring DR 150's. I've only had them on for hours... but intial impressions are good. Spoken vocals sound very nice & warm. And well... they are good! Edit: Been listening to a film and these are GOOD.

The DR's cost me £60 including postage. They are better built than than the grados to boot.

http://www.goldring.co.uk/headphones/dr150.htm

some impressions of the DR's

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=175044

good luck.

I forgot about the Goldrings. I've yet to hear anything bad about them. the DR150's are in your league.

The Denon sound is devastatingly clear, but a bit more bass thump would be nice as well.

Avoid Bose like the plague,total waste of money.The only good thing about them is their marketing team,they have the world convinced they make great headphones........bulls1t.If you want muddy bass,scratchy mids and no highs then by all means go for thema pair of Koss KSC 75 would pi55 all over them and would set you back 10-15 quid.
For what your looking in that price range the Sennheiser HD555/595 are your best option i think.Really good all rounder for movies and music.Id buy here too as you save a packet and they are excellent to deal with.
http://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQsassZelectromonster

Blah marketing blah blah. I doubt you have you actually heard the Triport Around ear headphones? Not the crappy in-ears.

Muddy Bass: Nope think you will find they have some of the best bass in their class.

Scratch Mids: Again the mids are certainly there.

No Highs: based on what music? I am a drummer and cymbal reproduction and a good frequency response in headphones are very important to me.

You obviously feel very strongly for some reason due to your unrequired strong language.

Ok, thanks all for the help so far.

It's either the

Denon AH-D1000
Beyerdynamic ST660
Sennheiser HD595
Sony MDR-SA1000

I'm so suprised at how tough this is to decide on - I thought this would be a walk in the park.:eek:

Think I'm going to want to order headphones in the next 2 days as my brother borrowed mine and has taken them abroad.

Ok, if there's any particular reason to avoid any of these sets, let me know.

I'm still leaning towards the DT660's at the moment and am aware the Sennheisers and the Sony's are open cup.

If there's any reason to steer away from the DT660's, I'd be ckeen to hear.

Thanks again,

Dan.

get the Sony's out of there!

Hi Mattski73. Any particular reason why? Sony products are reliable and normally of very good build quality along with pretty decent sound. If there's a good reason, I can take these off the list..

Cheers

Dan.

Dan,

There is a VERY in depth test of 5 sets of headphones at the £100 retail mark (translate to £80) in this months Hifi News.

If you want I'll post it to you.

I won't spoil the results though.

Hi Mattski73. Any particular reason why? Sony products are reliable and normally of very good build quality along with pretty decent sound. If there's a good reason, I can take these off the list..

Cheers

Dan.

every time I've put a pair of Sony's up against a pair of Sennheisers, the Sennheisers have always been better. Better clarity, deeper bass etc, etc.

Against some of your selection, i just think the Sony's will be outclassed. it's not that Sony's sound bad, it's just that the other sound better.

Blah marketing blah blah. I doubt you have you actually heard the Triport Around ear headphones? Not the crappy in-ears.

Muddy Bass: Nope think you will find they have some of the best bass in their class.

Scratch Mids: Again the mids are certainly there.

No Highs: based on what music? I am a drummer and cymbal reproduction and a good frequency response in headphones are very important to me.

You obviously feel very strongly for some reason due to your unrequired strong language.

I have heard the Triports in a local shop ,Im not going to comment on something i know nothing about.The sales guy was selling them to me like they were the best available.If they cost £15-£25 id say fair enough but you can still get alot better and cheaper.
For the price of Bose Triports you can do so much better in the closed headphone catagory Audio Technia A500/900,Beyerdynamic DT770 ,Sennheiser HD280 Pro,HD25-1,lots of cheaper ones too.I could list the open headphone catagory but il be here forever.Each of these have better bass production,better mids(although mids are nearly always recessed on closed headphones) and highs without a shadow of a doubt.This isn't a subjective opinon its the truth.If you feel cymbal reproduction and a good frequency response is important in your drumming then believe me you could be doing so much better than the Bose.
I apoligise my language was a bit colorful but i find it a complete ripoff that Bose can sell a pair of very poor headphones at that price based on a name.Its funny most shops that stock them although having much better headphones in stock always seem to push these....???? Strange
Try doing a search on Bose Triport over at Headfi.org,those guys know what they are talking about and you will see the general opinon on them.

OP its woth checking out these too or the A500.
http://www.audiocubes.com/product/Audio-Technica_ATH-A900_Art_Headphones.html?currency=GBP

Thanks all, I think I'm set on the Beyerdynamic DT660's. I've ecided that it has to be an open cup design as nise levlis too important for me.

Personally I'd love to own a set of HD595's at the moment, but open backs are just too loud so I'm likely to get a knock at the door at 2am as someone's walking by.

Pretty sure I'me going to order the DT660's tomorrow as a Birthday present from family.

Thanks for all the help, it reallyis appreciated..

Dan.:thumbsup:

Beyerdynamic DT660's ordered up. They're out of stock with the retailer, but I'm slightly consideriing a second-hand set of DT770's.

Will keep you posted.

Dan.

Thanks all, I think I'm set on the Beyerdynamic DT660's. I've ecided that it has to be an open cup design as nise levlis too important for me.

Personally I'd love to own a set of HD595's at the moment, but open backs are just too loud so I'm likely to get a knock at the door at 2am as someone's walking by.

Pretty sure I'me going to order the DT660's tomorrow as a Birthday present from family.

Thanks for all the help, it reallyis appreciated..

Dan.:thumbsup:

Haha, nah mate you're overestimating. I can't hear my AD700's (open) when they're playing higher than normal listening level when I'm out of the room.

I don't even disturb my brother when he is sleeping (we share a room) listening at normal level.

Haha, nah mate you're overestimating. I can't hear my AD700's (open) when they're playing higher than normal listening level when I'm out of the room.

I don't even disturb my brother when he is sleeping (we share a room) listening at normal level.

Correct,you would need to be in the same room to hear to hear any leaked noise from an open headphone.If someone can hear it from outside your door then your on the way to becoming deaf.

Just so you know the DT770 dont work very well with a variety of music,they are quite bass heavy.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom