1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help - Replace My Amp - Sony STR DB925

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by WBC, Jul 30, 2003.

Tags:
  1. WBC

WBC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys,

HELP!!!

I've had this amp for about 5 years & it cost me £600.......Generally it's done me proud, although, now its time to move on.

What sort of money do I need to spend to outshine this old horse??? I want to keep my budget to a minimum but want to hear some significant improvements in the new kit.

I'm not interested in 6.1, will never have a centre rear!!!!

It will need two speaker outs (as in Speakers A & Speakers B) My main speakers are Mission M74i's (when they arrive) Mission 70 Centre and Mission 71 Rears & Yammy Sub.

I guess its used 60% for Movies and 40% for music (I've always felt it let me down when it came to music although it was partnered with Eltax Symphony 6's. Which, incidently sounded better with my old arcam amp).

So can you guys please give me a sensible, realistic budget and maybe some recommendations for me to start looking at.

Seeing as its 5 year old(ish), Do I need to spend £200 up, £300 up or more to beat it on performance?????

Thanks
    Stace

2. JonHarper

JonHarper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got the Sony STR-DB930 receiver and am also thinking of upgrading. I've listened to a few amps and the Harmam Kardon 5550 (£850) sounds fantastic for both film and audio. It's got very good bass management.

I'm also thinking of upgrading from my Sony DVP-S725D DVD player to the HK DVD-30 (£450) - progressive PAL & NTSC, DVD-A but no SACD. It seem to play music better than the majority of DVD players.

Jon

3. WBC

WBC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply Jon but I don't want to spend anywhere near that sort of money.

My theory is that the box is now so old, something in the £200 - £300 price bracket should outperform it.

I use to have a Sony 715DVD (£600 & £130 to MultiMod, again about 5yrs ago) and replaced it around about a year ago with an LG4750 £160. I personally think the LG ran circles around the Sony.

As we all know, technology is moving so fast nowadays, I'm convinced something in the above mentioned price bracket should do the job, I just need some sort of confirmation and maybe a few recommendations to get me going!!!!!!

Thanks
    Stace :D

4. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    I went from a 925 to a Yamaha AX630SE and to my ears at least it sounded better. Slightly smoother sound with beafier bass and I like Prologic 2.

The 630 is now discontinued replaced by the 640 probably. ;)

5. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    £300 will get you a pretty good amp for movies - Marantz, Sony, Yamaha, Pioneer, Denon, Onkyo all having good performerss in that price bracket. If you like music then prepare to be disappointed, 'cos IMHO they're all poo in stereo (I used to own a Yamaha 630 and I still own a pioneer 811 so I think I'm allowed to say that). So my advice is that whatever you buy, make sure it has pre-outs for the left and right channels so that you can couple it with an integrated amp when funds allow (this counts out the Denon 1803 and the Onkyo 501)

6. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    gave my old 925 to my Dad..still happily working. solid piece of kit.

I switched to a Denon (2802) and found a big improvement in stereo sound over the Sony.. a Marantz should do equally as well.

7. WBC

WBC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the replies.

I've sort of narrowed it down to the Marantz 5300/5400 depending on price?? Yamaha 630 or maybe the HK????

Bearing in mind I am 60/40 in favour of movies, should I go for the Yammy??? I have heard the Marantz is better for music, The Yammy is better for movies and the HK has a balance of the two (although I am told HK kit is overpriced generally).

If I went for the Yam, is Music playback significantly worse than the Marantz

&

If I went for the Marantz, is Movie playback significantly worse than the Yammy????

Sorry for being a pain but I am finding it difficult to set up a side by side comparison.

Thanks

8. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    surely Stace, the obvious answer here is to get a demo at a dealer of 2 maybe 3 of the ones on your shortlist.

dont base your choice solely on word of mouth or magazine reviews (WHF for one aren't consistent on reviews... 5 star one month, 3 or 4 soon after).

take a couple of CDs down, different types of music plus some films that you know 2 or 3 awkward sequences well.

9. Gatto

Gatto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Before buying, I would recommend to give The Nad T752 a listen ! Its a 5.1 reciever with low level out for 7.1 if an upgrade is required . Lots of Power, Good in Stereo reproduction and excellent in HT. Chech for Software Version 1.20 as the early models had some software bug problems.

10. JUS

JUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +211
    I'll sell you my Sony STR DB930 if you want? :)

11. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    What are you replacing the 930 with?

12. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Very Nice Marantz SR5300 for sale in the classified section...;) :smashin:

13. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    The internet ate my post again!!!:mad:

The 930 is supposed to be quite a bit better than the 925, and I was also told that to beat the 930 you need to spend about £600.

Might be worth concidering JUS offer

14. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hmm, the 930 is good, granted and under-rated on these forums (with all Sony amps). However, the internal DACS are not a patch on those in the 1080 which is a really good low end reciever IMHO. It would be my choice in that price range if you can still find one. Brilliant remote too.

The Marantz 5300 I would take any day over the Yam 630 although both are good and I admit my bias is towards music. I would also consider the NAD range, even the T741/742.

In your boots I reckon what I would do is try to find a second hand Rotel reciever which, of course, will destroy the lot of them.

15. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Yes Ithink I would suggest looking at 2nd hand upper range kit as well - I just have little experience of it.

16. WBC

WBC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the input guys.....All sounds good to me, but where would I look for realisticly priced second hand receivers???

17. joust

joust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Hi,

Theres a nice Marantz SR5200 for sale here: http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=88602 and well within your budget. I upgraded to this from a Sony 930 (and now have upgraded yet again to a high spec Denon!!!), sorry didn't agree with martinimber's comment from above, the marantz is far better for music duties, and comparable in movies (IIRC the sony has a very forward sound compared to the marantz which is a little more natural).

Any of the suggestions made above will be much better than the 930, and a fortune doesn't need to be spent.

One point to note, not many speakers have the A/B speaker switches (the marantz certainly doesn't) - why do you need this feature? I think now only the Sony amps have tis option, so a 1080 would be worth searching for if you need it.

My 2p's worth.

Joust

18. WBC

WBC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Joust, Thanks for your reply.

I can't say I'm particularly interested in getting another Sony but I need the speaker switches, currently speaker switch A controls the 5.1 in my lounge and speaker switch B controls the 2 speakers in my dining room.

Any idea's????

Thanks Again

19. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    I'm pretty sure the Yamahas have AB speaker switches. You can download the manuals off their site just to be sure. Or buy a QED speaker switch.

If you know what model you're after then exdem or a google etc. search is a good way to find stuff.

Shame the 925 hasn't got Pre-outs then you could upgrade with an Arcam power amp for around £200.

20. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,821
  21. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    SBC (Swedish Born Chinese)/lived in UK since 96, C
    Ratings:
    +32
    Hi Stace,

The only new mainstream amps up to £300 that has speaker A/B selection as far as I know is

Denon AVR-1803G (gold) or B(black) - £207(empiredirect.co.uk) or £219(discounttv.co.uk)

Yamaha RX-V440 B (black) or HTR-5640 silver - £227-£231 (unbeatable.co.uk or qed-uk.com)

Yamaha RX-V540 B (black) or S(silver) - £278 (unbeatable.co.uk)

Yamaha DSP-AX640SE B or S - £302.5 (qed-uk.com) no tuner

You have here 2 really good brands, and in particular the Yamaha series as for an a/v amp it is really good with music and superb with movies. Denon 1803 is also good in both film and music but the Yammy is one notch up I reckon.

If you don't need a Tuner, the AX640 would be the one I would go for if you could afford £300 or 440 for maximum saving. The 540 is sort of in between but don't gain much in features compared with 440.

Wasabi

22. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How about here :D

23. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Army Bloke

discounttv.co.uk is selling new Marantz-SR5300G for £289 delivered and RS would price beat it with £10 so that means a new Gold version for £279. I think you have to lower ur asking price mate.

Wasabi

24. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that mate. But having done my homework (which you obviously haven't :D ), discounttv have no gold ones in stock and say that Marantz won't provide them with any more. (Yes, I did phone them...). Which means you can buy a shiny new black one for...er...£399...£119 more than mine.
    And Richer Sounds are only selling GRADED 5300's. Which according to their website means factory re packed, ex demo or repaired...mind you thay are only £239. But would you want one that you didn't know whether it had been repaired recently and could go again at any time...?;)

25. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Army Bloke, you certainly done your homework. But you can get a new black one from hifistore.co.uk for £320 and they have it in stock (well according to the website).

Does 5300 has speaker selector?

Otherwise it wouldn't be a choice for Stace.

26. WBC

WBC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone heard any bad reports about the graded products from Richer.

My theory is that if the unit has been return and repaired, there is more chance that you should get one that has been fully tested and possibly even have the latest firmware.

Richer still offer a full guarantee!!!!

Might be worth considering???? what do you think??

Thanks Again

27. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    Shouldn't be problem. I have bought a graded dvd from them. The unit came with slight scratches and no remote. They don't seem to ship with remotes as my mate also found out. If you ring them and answer the standard list of questions correctly a remote will be sent FOC. Apart from the scratches the unit works fine and is under warranty with RS.

28. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    I would never buy graded stock unless it was very cheap. You know it may have gone wrong on the first day or it might have broken after several months of abuse. I don't take the risk.

29. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ditto - and if it's graded, they WILL NOT replace it with a new one - if it goes wrong on day 1, they'll still send it away to be repaired.

BTW, wassabi, mines still £50 cheaper and I might be persuaded to drop even further. But you are right - no second zone speakers so not really what you are looking for.

30. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Sorry Army Bloke,

I don't have any experience buying second hand, therefore I might unjust critisise unless it is significantly cheaper.

And I am not aiming to critisizing Marantz because I have one and I am extremely pleased with it, in particular with the unique CSII mode, so much better than DPLII, the sound in general is super and the amp just looks so gorgeous, but it doesn't have speaker selector which Stace needs.

Which one of the 1803 or the Yammys would you go for if you were in Stace's clothes?

Wasabi,