1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help.... Remote control for PC and connected Amp

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by U187146, May 28, 2005.

1. U187146

U187146
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have got myself really (and I mean really) confused.

Problem.
    Windows Media Center connected to 100w Amp in one room
    2 Speakers in same room
    2 speakers in another room (directly above)

Worked out that I can control WMC using a Wi-fi PDA using something like Niveus Pocket Remote (looks very good) or similar.

What is best way to control Amp, more specifically turning on, switching between the speakers in the 2 rooms and volume (pretty basic stuff in other words) ?

Most Amplifier remotes are IR. Would a PDA IR extender do what I need. Does IR go through walls (make that plasterboard...). Didn't think it did, but I have seen reference made to this. I always thought you needed line of sight for IR. Do any Amps work using Bluetooth, or Wifi ??

Anyway, I would be really grateful if someone could help !!

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    IR is line of sight, there are RF (go through walls) extenders for some IR remotes. This needs more thought can the AMP actaully select speaker zone via remote?

3. sholao

sholao

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A starting point would be girder software http://www.promixis.com and an IR Blaster on your PC.

You could then setup some macros to do various things.