Help - Rega Planar 2 setup

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Milo_Myage, Aug 6, 2013.

1. Milo_Myage

Milo_Myage
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just purchased a used Rega Planar 2 off eBay and am having a few problems. My 1st turntable and i'm well out of my depth.

Got it all plugged in and had a quick listen and it sounded great. Popped to the shop and bought a couple of new records, went to try one out and the arm skipped across the record as it was being lowered.

It now sounds very fuzzy/dirty/distorted. I've tried giving the stylus a brush and rebalancing the arm but not helped.

Have i damaged the stylus? It appears to be aligned correctly.

Any help would be most appreciated

2. Clive197

Clive197

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Hi
    Welcome to vinyl. Just remember the all important words. DON'T PANIC.

Your turntable probably has a Rega Arm, which do need careful set up. The four most important points are tracking weight, bias, cartridge alignment and a level surface. The latter is important but don't worry if it is not exactly level, a degree out is neither here or there. You don't say what cartridge you are using, so I am unable to recommend a weight but you should be able to find that information fairly easily. Once you know the weight required then reset by zeroing the weight at the pivot end of arm and then getting the arm to float level without touching the arm rest, then add the tracking force required. You will need a cartridge scale for this as Rega arms are not usually marked. Once done, the bias needs to be set corresponding to the tracking force applied using the bias force scale below the arm tube. Cartridge alignment requires the use of a cartridge protractor. Very slightly loosen the screws/bolts holding the cartridge to the headshell enough that the cartridge can move easily in the headshell, then using the protractor (instructions to what you are trying to achieve usually are on the said item). If the cartridge was set correctly in the first place, don't worry about this last setting as I have never known a cartridge to go out of alignment on its own. You should however know how to do it if you ever decide to change the cartridge.

Should you decide to replace an old stylus on a Moving Magnet Cartridge, that is simplicity itself as the old one slides out and the new one slides in.

Good luck and enjoy your new records.