Question Help, Rega brio vs Rega IO, is the IO powerful enough?

AudioNut83

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi there
I was wondering if the rega io would power my 8ohm speakers with power handling rated between 50-150 watts?
I know the rega io’s power is only 30watts per channel so I’m a little concerned that it’s a bit to weak for my bookshelf mission speakers. I currently use a marantz amp but I’m not happy with the overall quality of the unit, and it’s on it’s way out so I need a replacement, preferably one that’s an upgrade over the marantz.
Also do any owners whether the io sounds any better than a marantz pm6004? If not what about the brio? I know better is largely subjective but still, I’d like to hear people’s views on these rega amps.
Many thanks

Last edited:
Hi there
I was wondering if the rega io would power my 8ohm speakers with power handling rated between 50-150 watts?
I know the rega io’s power is only 30watts per channel so I’m a little concerned that it’s a bit to weak for my bookshelf mission speakers. I currently use a marantz amp but I’m not happy with the overall quality of the unit, and it’s on it’s way out so I need a replacement, preferably one that’s an upgrade over the marantz.
Also do any owners whether the io sounds any better than a marantz pm6004? If not what about the brio? I know better is largely subjective but still, I’d like to hear people’s views on these rega amps.
Many thanks
I've moved your question to this forum.

I've no doubt the Rega will sound better than the Marantz. Most stereo amps will outperform a receiver for stereo music performance. As for the speakers the figures you should be looking at is the sensitivity along with that minimum amp requirement. The minimum does seem fairly high and because you've not given the model number it's not possible to know the sensitivity number.

On minimum power requirements the Rega Brio may be more suitable.

I've moved your question to this forum.

I've no doubt the Rega will sound better than the Marantz. Most stereo amps will outperform a receiver for stereo music performance. As for the speakers the figures you should be looking at is the sensitivity along with that minimum amp requirement. The minimum does seem fairly high and because you've not given the model number it's not possible to know the sensitivity number.

On minimum power requirements the Rega Brio may be more suitable.
Thanks for moving this post.
I have the mission 790 bookshelves, I didn’t put the model down as I don’t think they are particularly common or well known.
I probably should have mentioned that the marantz is actually a stereo amplifier, it’s not exactly powerful though at 8ohm 45 watts but it’s powerful enough to drive the missions.
I was hoping to save a little and get the io but if it isn’t up to the challenge for my speakers then yeah, I’ll have to get the brio.
Will the lower 30watts per channel make my speakers sound weaker than the marantz?
If it’s just a case of needing the dial to be up higher on the amp then it’s not an issue, I don’t listen at extremely loudly volumes so I doubt distortion would be a major issue but I could be wrong?

Last edited:
I thought you were talking about a Marantz receiver as you had originally posted in that section. In view of that are you sure the Marantz is on the way out? I can't find the specs for your speakers but the minimum requirement suggests that they are hard to drive so the sensitivity could be quite low and even with 45 watts the Marantz is struggling.

Even though the speakers are physically small it looks as though they need a lot of power reserve to drive them effectively. The Brio is a punchy little amp and would be able to control them.

87dB is on verge of being a difficult drive for small amp and depending on the size of your room then 30 watts into 8 ohms is going to struggle a little.

I thought you were talking about a Marantz receiver as you had originally posted in that section. In view of that are you sure the Marantz is on the way out? I can't find the specs for your speakers but the minimum requirement suggests that they are hard to drive so the sensitivity could be quite low and even with 45 watts the Marantz is struggling.

Even though the speakers are physically small it looks as though they need a lot of power reserve to drive them effectively. The Brio is a punchy little amp and would be able to control them.
Oh you mean the marantz network player, I get the confusion.
Yeah, the marantz shows it’s age. The right channel buzzes, hums and the volume is sometimes quieter. I’ve checked it’s not the speakers or cables so it’s definitely the amp. I could probably get it repaired but I’d rather sell it for ridiculously cheap and get something newer.
It sounds like the rega io isn’t going to power them to a high standard, I was hoping someone here might own it but I guess being fairly new maybe not many people have tried it out with a more powerful setup.
When you say struggle do you mean that it’ll sound weak? Or will it only struggle at high volumes?

It could lead to clipping if pushed. I own a Rega Elicit-R and I don't listen at high volume and mine is a brilliant amp when played at low levels. I don't know if that ability would trickle down to the Io. If you have dealers close to you that stock the Io then ask to have a home demo. AudioT does allow for home demos and they stock the Io but not the Brio oddly.

If the OP is happy with the volume output of his current Marantz (45W) then I really don't see that the substitution with the Rega IO (30W) will result in noticeable change. A reduction of less than 2dB in the max power output isn't worth worrying about.

If the OP is happy with the volume output of his current Marantz (45W) then I really don't see that the substitution with the Rega IO (30W) will result in noticeable change. A reduction of less than 2dB in the max power output isn't worth worrying about.

I’d say so too.

The Io is likely to have sufficient current, as is Rega’s practice, to drive the Missions.

Party volumes are likely out, but usual household listening won’t trouble the Io.

Last edited:
I’d say so too.

The Io is likely to have sufficient current, as is Rega’s practice, to drive the Missions.

Party volumes are likely to out, but usual household listening won’t trouble the Io.
Thanks for everyone’s advice here!
Now I’m not sure whether to start a whole new brio vs io post on this or not but does anyone know if the rega brio and io sound very similar? If the brio is a noticeable improvement in sound quality then I’ll get one but if I’m literally going to be paying for just extra power alone then I’ll get the IO.
Anyone here have any experience with both of these?

I think the Io is still to new at the moment and it's doubtful that any Brio owners would ditch the amp for the Io. Regas do tend to sound very similar but the higher up the range you go the more involving they get. They will also partner a great many speakers. If possible I would try and listen to the Io with your own speakers.

... and here’s another.

If you digest both I think it’s not too difficult to see where your money should go on budget.

Ps, if you should decide to upgrade your speakers then consider the Rega RX1. They sometimes still pop up for ridiculously low sums.

does the IO have pre outs so that you can connect a power amp for a bi amp setup?

Here's an interesting review for you.

... and here’s another.

If you digest both I think it’s not too difficult to see where your money should go on budget.

Thanks all, I’m going to buy the IO, now all I need is a rega planar 2, maybe even the 3 if I can stretch my budget🤞
Thanks again for all the advice, it is much appreciated

I’ve had both so can give you my opinion. The Io is a brilliant little amplifier, sounding much bigger than its modest 30W suggests. It has that Rega knack of drawing you into the music so that you forget about equipment and just enjoy the music. It’s dynamic and clear but with an analogue warmth. It’s so good that it will make you look higher up the Rega chain. Which is what I did and got a Brio. The Brio, to my ears, adds greater finesse and control, and a more “live” sound; which you’d expect for an extra 20W and an extra couple of hundred pounds. Improvements as you move up models is something Rega do very well. Both are excellent amplifiers; the Brio is an improvement. It also has a couple of extra inputs, if that matters, but neither amp has any pre or sub outs. That suits me fine. The phono stage in both is excellent.
I think it’s a question of budget. You can’t go wrong with either amp. Both turned me to being a massive Rega fan.

I’ve had both so can give you my opinion. The Io is a brilliant little amplifier, sounding much bigger than its modest 30W suggests. It has that Rega knack of drawing you into the music so that you forget about equipment and just enjoy the music. It’s dynamic and clear but with an analogue warmth. It’s so good that it will make you look higher up the Rega chain. Which is what I did and got a Brio. The Brio, to my ears, adds greater finesse and control, and a more “live” sound; which you’d expect for an extra 20W and an extra couple of hundred pounds. Improvements as you move up models is something Rega do very well. Both are excellent amplifiers; the Brio is an improvement. It also has a couple of extra inputs, if that matters, but neither amp has any pre or sub outs. That suits me fine. The phono stage in both is excellent.
I think it’s a question of budget. You can’t go wrong with either amp. Both turned me to being a massive Rega fan.

When you say it’s an improvement is it subtle or more obvious? My mind was made up but now I’m thinking maybe it’s better to put the new turntable on hold and get the brio

When you say it’s an improvement is it subtle or more obvious? My mind was made up but now I’m thinking maybe it’s better to put the new turntable on hold and get the brio
Certainly not night and day. They both share the same characteristics in terms of sound. The Brio has better bass control and definition and vocals are better placed and positioned. It also sounds more in control and organised with symphonic pieces. An acoustic guitar has slightly more of that live twang. I would have lived quite happily with the Io but I got the chance to get a Brio for the same price as a new Io so that was a no-brainer. The Io would make a cracking little system with a Rega P1 or upwards. By the way, I added a Rega turntable and, for me, it was a great addition.

Morning All,
Good thread !
I have been looking at exactly the same ... ish !
I am looking at the REGA IO but want to drive my QAcoutsics 3050I's as the main speakers.
I get lost with a bit of the number crunching going on ...
I know the IO has 30W power and the 3050's are 25W - 100W and 'average impedance of 6ohms ..
So the million $ question - would the IO work ?

Morning All,
Good thread !
I am looking at the REGA IO but want to drive my QAcoutsics 3050I's as the main speakers.
I know the IO has 30W power and the 3050's are 25W - 100W and 'average impedance of 6ohms ..
The io's 30 watts is quoted into 8 ohms so driving 6 ohm speakers you would get more power, around 45 watts roughly although Rega don't publish figures for 6 ohms. Essentially the io should drive them without too much bother.

Morning All,
Good thread !

I recently bought the newest Rega brio, in the end I got it due to some of the comments on this post and because apparently the IO has a slightly harsher sounding upper midrange in comparison. Obviously I haven’t heard the IO so it might not be as harsh as some people think but maybe that might be something for you to consider.
The brio is rated at 50 watts and my mission speakers are rated between 50-150 into 8ohms so the IO will be able to power your speakers pretty easily I imagine.

An update from me ...
Bought the REGA IO - absolutely blasts the 3050i's !
Sounds really good in all areas - cant fault it ...
Fantastic amp for what I need :thumbsup:

Rega usually make very good amplifiers.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom