Help redistributing Virgin around house after rewire

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by steeeb, Jan 31, 2014.

1. steeeb

steeeb
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I'm hoping someone can help with my query. I have Virgin media and have had my house rewired and so have changed the setup in my house.

Previously, from the brown virgin media box outside there was a splitter, one went through the wall in to my living room where I connect the virgin media box and one went up in to my bedroom, in the bedroom was another splitter which my modem and virgin media box connected to.

Now I have coax points in every room all terminating to my electric cupboard and I now have just one Virgin feed coming in to my electric cupboard.

I also have my ariel coming in to this cupboard and a 6 way amplifier for pushing freeview to any point in the house.

My plan is to put a 3 way F-Type splitter on the Virgin feed in my electric cupboard. One for my modem that is staying in the cupboard and then using F-Type to Coax connectors to hook the other 2 up to any of the 2 coax cables in the cupboard that I choose, and these will then become my Virgin Media points. (I can switch and choose as I need).

Then, where my coax points are, use another coax to f-type connector to connect my Virgin Media boxes up.

So. Firstly. Will this plan work? If not, could someone point me in the right direction as to why not and what I need in order to get what it is I want working. Is there anything I need to be wary of? Ie. only a certain type of splitter and adapters will work with VM?

Secondly, can I make it more efficient? Can I plug the Virgin Media straight in to the 6 way amp (with a f-type to coax adapter) and then I get Virgin Media anywhere I please? (Although I could no longer do the same with freeview at the same time obviously).

I am planning on moving in next weekend, so I need to buy the correct adapters etc and try test everything out before I move back in if possible.

I'd appreciate your help.

2. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,062
    The VM cable feed should not be passed through an RF amplifier or mixed in with RF signals. You cannnot use the distribiotion amp in conjunction with the VM signal feed. You can split the feed and then go directly from the splitter to several VM STBs and or cable modems, but even doing this may alter the signal strength so it is outside of acceptable range for the devices in question. If you've more than one cable STB then distribute the feed to them directly and not via the RF amp you have.

3. steeeb

steeeb
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    dante01

Excellent. Thanks very much. I will try my original plan and split the feed and go direct to the coax cables with it and hope I get a good enough signal. If not I will try to explore different options.

Thanks.

4. hk389344

hk389344
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Steeb,

We've done exactly that (split the feed and then patch down to each of the relevant f-type points in the rooms) with no problems. We had it all OK with two boxes, and will be increasing that to 4 when the new extensions / rebuild / rewire is finished.

5. metalguru

metalguru

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    With the new Superhubs and Tivo boxes you may have problems if not using virgin cables, especially if using the honeycombed type.