Help recording digital signal

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by KirkSi, Mar 1, 2005.

1. KirkSi

KirkSi
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,769
    First off I'd like to say Hi to everyone. I'm new to the forums but from scanning the discussions you guys certainly know your stuff.

I recently got a Panasonic E55 DVD recorder and want to record digital telly. I guess if you've got a set top box it's pretty stright forward, the aerial goes into the box before the recorder. We've got an integrated digital TV though, so the aerial goes in the E55 before the telly. It's therefore recording an analouge signal (which in our block of flats is pretty poor quality, the digital picture is great. The E55 isn't picking up the other freeview channels either, all I get is 1-5). Is there anything in the setup that allows you to record the digital signal and freeview channels, or is there something I can do with the cableing that routes the signal through the TV first then back to the E55? Our TV is also Panasonic and I think is this one

Any help will be appreciated, any help worded for a complete thicko would be much appreiciated!

2. MPK

MPK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Although I must admit I'm not familiar with DVD recorders, presumably they work the same way as VCRs. At least one of your Scart sockets in your TV will be In/Out instead of only In, which is what you connect to your DVD recorder's In socket. I am not sure whether you'll need 2 scart connections, one In one Out or whether the one is enough. The channel on the DVD recorder will then be something like L-1 or AV1 or whatever, i.e. not a normal channel but an AV channel. You don't need to route the aerial through the DVD recorder as it only has an analog tuner. One thing to make sure is that your scart out has an RGB setting, as should your DVD recorder. This will give you much better picture quality than ordinary composite. Note that you'll only be able to record what you are currently watching, unless you want to record the analog channels from your DVD recorder's tuner.

3. Tellyfiend

Tellyfiend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    The E55 doesn't have a digital tuner so can only accept the digital signal from an external source e.g. your TV. If your link is correct you've got two scarts on your TV:
    AV1 = RGB in
    AV2 = Composite or S-Video in and Composite out

So without adding extra kit go:

Scart connections:
    E55 AV1 > TV AV1 (both set to RGB)
    TV AV2 > E55 AV2 (both set to video/composite)

RF connections:
    Aerial > E55 > TV

You can record from the E55's internal tuner (with the poor reception you have) or from the TV's digital tuner by selecting AV2 on the E55. However, it means you can only record what digital channel you're watching on TV and only record in lower composite quality.

Why not buy a cheap digibox (they can be bought for as little as £30) to connect to the E55's AV2 for recording purposes only and use the TV's internal digi-tuner for live watching. That way you can record in higher quality RGB if you forego the Ext Link option. You can also record one channel while watching another.

4. clawson

clawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That'd be exactly my advice too. Or, if you want to get REALLY fancy, get a Thomson or Fusion PVR to act as the freeview input to the E55. That way you can record stuff to the PVR hard drive first and then later archive things from the PVR to the DVDR plus you get all the advantages like live pause and rewind etc.

Cliff
    (who has Fusion FVRT100 RGB out connected to E55 AV2 input and then E55 AV1 output (RGB) connected to telly (JVC) AV1 input)