1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help record from vhs?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by jacycade, Sep 22, 2003.

1. jacycade

jacycade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I need some help I have some old vhs tapes with old family holiday movies etc... on them and I want to transfer them onto DVD.
    Am I able to play straight from vhs onto a DVD Recorder or do I need to put them through some PC or Mac application.?
    What is the best way to go about this ?

2. DrPepper

DrPepper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    You can record your vhs stuff onto dvd with a dvd recorder using
    scart connection or composite.Once copied onto dvd the picture quality will be slightly better the vhs.

This is the easiest way to do it.

3. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,212
    That is impossible. Once copied the picture will be as good as the VHS recording - not better. Copying to DVD cannot improve the picture.

It is possible to go down the PC route although personnally I have yet to bowled over by the results. IMHO the best way is to get a set-top DVD recorder and copy them accross. For such a task best results will be achieved by one with a Timebase Corrector, i.e. any model bar Philips or Daewoo. To give the best possible picture you will want a Picture Stabiliser/Copymate but this is a device you should buy after the DVD recorder SHOULD you need it.

4. bowler

bowler
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    What is a picture stabiliser/copymate and how does it work?

5. jacycade

jacycade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the quick replies

6. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    You could plug your VHS recorder into your PC firwire thru an analog/digital converter like the Canopus ADVC-100

Your files will then be captured to PC as DV .avi files where you can edit before encoding to MPEG & authoring to DVD

7. Rob100

Rob100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    In theory I'd agree, but the Panny's inbuilt TBC and filtering can do wonders for some VHS recordings and I have to say some of what I'd done do look better than the original VHS.

Rob.

8. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,212
    It's just a machine with a Scart in and Scart Out that ensures the picture is stable, colour correct and copyable. As I say you may well not need one so don't buy it unless your having trouble with your copies. Have a look at www.lektropacks.co.uk for an example of a copymate although note that you can get versions with S-Video in/out (for use with S-VCRs) that are considerably more expensive than composute only ones.

What you basically saying is you prefer the digital picture to the analogue one. Understandable. Most people feel this way now - especially as most our screens are optimised for viewing digital sourced material. It doesn't alter the fact that the original source is still slightly better/equal to the copy. The fact that the analogue picture may have dropout that is more visible than the digital recording's artifact (which may well be smoothed out by processing in your DVD player/TV) is somewhat irrelvant. It's a bit like saying you get better meat in a tin of Spam than on a live Cow :D

9. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I use a Pinnacle Linx device, not brilliant but not expensive and did the job I needed to transfer some aging VHS tapes to DVD.