Help. Recommended 28" WS Flat models?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by jaminblack, Jul 25, 2004.

1. jaminblack

jaminblack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I need a new tv. my brother moved out and took his with him.
    I got bags of space, but only really got a budget for 28", (otherwise I'll end up going for a well priced projector and just get a very cheap portable for emergencies).

Can anybody throw some models numbers into the ring for me.

I want a flat widescreen 28", which is reliable first and foremost. Not too nothered about extras like, 100Hz. Dont want IDtv.

Quite fancy progressive scan if its available in the £300 - £500 range.
    This will be my first WS. So just really looking for advice.
    Are there any good buying guides. I'm a bit overwhelmed atm.

My budget is flexible so please recommend anything. but nothing over £900. :D

(I currently only have a pioneer 350 as the source but am looking at a new player aswell.... but I need a tv to do it justice first.)

All thoughts welcome.

Jamin

2. brummybloke

brummybloke
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    the sony 32fx68 is available on letsbuyit.com for £569.99 including stand and delivery i got one the other day, excellent tv and it is 32 inch aswell and for the price yu cant argue. no progresive scan though, that costs abit more.

3. M0T

M0T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    The JVC HV28P37 is available for £430 delivered. Has component inputs for progressive scan, 2 rgbs and 1 svideo scart, is flat and widescreen :)

Apparently its supposed to be really good when coupled with high quality sources (review @ www.whatvideotv.com), e.g. dvds but like most large screen non 50hz tv's, is not great on analog, so it might be worth splashing out £50 on a freeview box.

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    look at JVC D model sets, integrated freeveiw and as good as P37 also consider Panny DTX40 and there are also some good deals like JVC 36P38 at £999!

5. TV Headache

TV Headache
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you're looking for good basic picture quality from a flat 28" widescreen you may want to check out the Sony KV-28LS36. I'm very impressed by my mate's LS36 and I generally find Sony's 28" 50Hz to offer the best value for money pictures you can get (I have a 28" Sony IDTV). Looks like Dixon's are doing them for less than £400 on their web site too.

6. Loada

Loada

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    I can second the 28LS36. I got one from Comet Online a few weeks back for under £400 (inc stand). I previously had a Panasonic 32PF10 and the Sony was intended as a budget-buy stand-in until decorating has finished when it will be replaced by a plasma or DLP rear-pro. Despite that, I've been very impressed by the picture, it is remarkably good - at 28", it really doesn't need all the 100hz frippery and the picture is all the better for it - natural, vibrant and emminently watchable and the WEGA screen does it proud. Not surprisingly, the sound isn't quite upto the picture's standard but to be fair, that's expected on most TV sets, especially at that price.

As far as I'm concerned, the LS36 has impressed me enough tol be kept on, most likely in games-console or bedroom-viewing duties once its replacement arrives.

I can heartily recommend the Sony 28LS36 - there can't be that many other TVs in the £350-£400 price range that can hold a candle to it... :smashin:

7. jaminblack

jaminblack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the replies guys.