1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Recommend me Floorstanders, £500 - £1000....

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Sunday Ironfoot, Jul 20, 2003.

1. Sunday Ironfoot

Sunday Ironfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I popped into my local HIFI shop the other day to demo an Arcam A85 amplifier and compare it with my current Arcam A65+ (using Mission M51 and Marantz CD6000 KI). Well the differences didn't blow me away although it (A85) did sound better. But then I asked if I could demo the Mission 782SE floorstanders, and these did blow me away. Bass nice and tight and the mid was so much clearer, I really loved the sound of these.

So to cut a long story short, I've decided to upgrade my speakers and amplifier. I've pretty much decided on the A85 coz of it's flexibility (DVD-Audio module, home cinema capabilites with 3 channel power amp). But now for the speakers. Yes the Mission 782SE did impress me, but I also want to consider other possibilities to demo with.

My budget is in between £500 - £1000, it's going with an Arcam A85 and Marantz CD600KI with the possibility of adding an Arcam P85 power amp for biamping/home cinema. My current Mission M51 will be used as rears so something that matches them. Cheers!

2. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    How about some B&W CDM's 7's? I think they may a bit above your budget requirements IRO £1300, I recommend you listen to the 603's they are Great for an AV set-up but you need a good amp to drive them (A85 will not have a problem), they are not up to the standard of the CDM's if you can afford them.

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I wouldn't worry too much about matching whatever you buy to the rears. My M&K fronts are a gross missmatch to my Mission bipole rears but the only time it really shows up is when playing Dark Side of the Moon SACD.

Just buy whatever fronts you fancy but try and make sure that you can get a matching centre speaker at some stage.

I would throw that Quads into the melting pot for a demo

4. jhjerpe

jhjerpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    I've got the B&W603 S3 hooked up to an A85/P85 combination. I got the speakers for Home Cinema use originally and for that they get 5/5 as far as I am concerned.

For music they have they have a lot of bass, I no longer use my Sub with them for stereo as it became too much! For me this is great, so I would give them 5/5 but being a bit more objective and taking into account the views of others who listen to the system on a regular basis 4/5 for music is probably about right. BTW they take a long time to run in so bare this in mind if you do a demo.

Partnered with the A85 they are great and adding the P85 was a step up but not a huge jump – but I wouldn’t want to give it up now! The fixed processor mode of the A85 is really handy for running it with my Pioneer 2011, makes life very simple.

5. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Again slightly over your budget (£1100), but the PMC FB1's might be worth a look.

MuFu.

6. Sunday Ironfoot

Sunday Ironfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the suggestions people. The PMC FB1's do look tempting and are sold by my local HIFI shop. Will have to look into B&W CM7's later, as CM4's did recieve a bit of critism from some people. Probably demo the 603's as well.

I have a question regarding the Mission 783, how does this compare to the 782? I understand that the 783 is bigger and probably has more bass weight, however the same magazine that has praised the 782 also slagged off the 783 (HIFI Choice). Are the improvements in the 782SE (Special Edition) also found in the 783 coz there doesn't seem to be a SE version of the 783's?

Cheers!

7. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Make sure you have the Heavy Bungs in the Rear of the 603's when you listen it helps a lot with the Bass control.

jhjerpe - I take it you have your bungs in as they are SERIOUSLEY bass heavy without them, well for music anyway, you can always put bungs in the front ports as well if it is still too much.

8. jhjerpe

jhjerpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    I use a mixture of bung / no bung depending on how much I want to shake the room.... but agreed the bungs make a big difference....