Help! Receiver with powered zone 2 & airplay in zone 2

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Robert00, Feb 26, 2013.

1. Robert00

Robert00
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am hoping someone can help me with my issue. I am looking for a receiver which has a powered zone 2 and built in airplay. My current receiver, Onyko NR609 has the powered zone 2 but i cannot use my apply tv in the second zone, and it has not airplay functionality whatsoever.

My main zone is my living room, and my zone 2 is my outdoor speakers in my back yard. I am looking for a receiver which has a powered Zone 2 and will allow me to use airplay in zone 2 as well.

I am new to all of this, so I have researched it the best i can but I only get more confused. I thought perhaps someone can point me in the right direction.

Oh, and I run 5.1 surround sound in my main room, and i only use two of the HDMI connections so number of HDMI connections is not as important.

Any help would be most greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

2. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,966
    What's you budget for the receiver?

The Denon AVR2113 can use its two back channels to power 2 passive speakers in a second zone and also has the ability to output content sourced via AirPlay in that zone.

There is one quirk in relation to Denon xx13 receivers while sourcing Airplay content in the second zone. You need the main Zone to be on and you initially need to select Airplay for both the Main Zone and then Zone 2. Once using AirPlay in both Zones, you can then switch the Main Zone to a different source other than Airplay. If you turn off the Main Zone then the Airplay stream will stop. If you want to listen to Airplay in just Zone 2 without audio in the main zone, then you'd either need to mute the Main Zone or select an unused input for the Main Zone.

The AVR2113 is a 7.1 receivers so you'd obviously only be able to have a 5.1 setup in the Main Zone if using the back channels to power Zone 2.

If you can afford it then there's also the AVR3313 which has an integrated HDMI matrix and a third HDMI output.. This would allow you to output any HDMI input to the third HDMI output independently of the main HDMI outputs. You could have your AppleTV connected to the AVR3313 in the Main room and the Zone 2 HDMI output going to your Onkyo elsewhere. The Onkyo could then power your second zone speakers. The AppleTV signal would be passed through to the Onkyo. You could in theory have a full blown 7.1 second zone if you wanted, with both HDMI sourced audio and video.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013