help really needed. trying to import from my handycam

evil genius

Standard Member
Reaction score
morning all.
gettng annoyed with this now lol.
got a sony dv handycam and conot import any video from it.
first i tryed the usb with now luck then i read that it had to be done via a ilink so went out and bought one but am still having no luck.

when i open the sony programme for importing video it says that it has not detected any ilink:mad:

is therre any setting on the camera that need changing. the model in question is a HC47E.

also is there any way i can check on my comp that my firewall conection is working?

thanks alot
ian

morning all.
gettng annoyed with this now lol.
got a sony dv handycam and conot import any video from it.
first i tryed the usb with now luck then i read that it had to be done via a ilink so went out and bought one but am still having no luck.

when i open the sony programme for importing video it says that it has not detected any ilink:mad:

is therre any setting on the camera that need changing. the model in question is a HC47E.

also is there any way i can check on my comp that my firewall conection is working?

thanks alot
ian
If you have a dvd recorder it would be worth checking the cam plug and firewire cable are ok.If they are when connecting the cam to the pc [i presume you have sofware installed]by turning the the cam on to playback if the pc detects the cam it will bong if not it is not being detected.

If you have a dvd recorder it would be worth checking the cam plug and firewire cable are ok.If they are when connecting the cam to the pc [i presume you have sofware installed]by turning the the cam on to playback if the pc detects the cam it will bong if not it is not being detected.

i have a dvd rw drive,
why would it be worth checking it if i have a dvd recorder?

i get no bong like i do if i connect somethink via usb:(.
maybe a problem there then.
anybody no a way of checking on the comp if there is somthing up with the connection?
ian

i have a dvd rw drive,
why would it be worth checking it if i have a dvd recorder?
Because that would test the firewire cable and the firewire connector on your camcorder as it would eliminate the PC ( hardware and windows ) as likely "suspects"
i get no bong like i do if i connect somethink via usb:(.
maybe a problem there then.
I always get a notification sound, and a dialogue asking what I want to do but Mark ( Redsox-Mark) seems not to but it still works for him
anybody no a way of checking on the comp if there is something up with the connection?
Im sure a few folk on here do;)
If you check your devices manager ( in windows) you should see IEEE 1394 Bus host controllers without any exclamation mark
So the fault could be
The camcorder
the cable
the PC connection
You can only find out which by trial and error but the cables are not unknown to be the most common cause
Also camcorder firewire port can fry: This can be avoided by connecting the firewire cable to the PC first , and not connecting up power to the camcorder whilst the firewire cable is not in it
I have not had a problem with it myself all these years but a large enough no of folk have and I guess there is no reason not to learn from them

Last edited:
Bet he uses Vista.

I had a HDR-HC1e that I bought from Lurcher. It wouldn't connect via firewire no matter what I tried. In the end we concluded that the firewire was busted and it would cost more to get it mended than it was worth (OK, maybe not) and so he had it back and sold it to somebody who didn't want to use the firewire port.

I've had Canons that had no problem, with the same PC.

But I use XP.

Last edited:
Not familiar with the model but on every sony I have had there is a setting on the cam for firewire mode.

if you're in firewire mode and using XP then I think you need to try the DVDR method above because it sounds like your firewire is busted.

also what is 'device manager' under in xp?
thanks
ian

Right click "My Computer"
chose Properties
This will bring up a "System Properties" dialogue box
Chose the tab "Hardware"
The second line has the Device manager box has the tab you need
Click it an you are there: the items can be expanded if they have a cross

You can also go via control panel

thanks

also my comp cas is clear perspects and i can see another firewall conector coming from cards inside.
would it be worth conecting to this and see if it works?
ian

under IEEE 1394 its says

NEC OHCI compliant IEEE 1394 host controller
is this rite?
thanks

ian
Yep.. So .. your cable..?:confused:
You can certainly try the combo of cable and camcorder on another PC to track down the fault and you can try another cable
thanks

also my comp cas is clear perspects and i can see another firewall conector coming from cards inside.
would it be worth conecting to this and see if it works?
ian
Absolutely

right then,
have now opened up the case and plugged it in a firwall slot i could see that was attached to one of the cards.

turned the handycam on and comp went bing and and it said handycam installed

so everything is now working:smashin:
must be a prob with my frot mounted firewall conection

thanks alot everyone for your help:thumbsup:
ian

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom