1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help re Sub housed in cabinet

Discussion in 'AV Stands, Cabinets, Seating & Furniture' started by MattH, Sep 14, 2003.

1. MattH

MattH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Can anyone help me with this question, I am planning to build a unit to houde all my AV equipment at the front of my room. This will include all the source equipment eg, amp, dvd player etc plus the front speakers, the sub will be placed between the front left and centre speaker, I know that the l/c/r speakers need to have acoustically transparent cloth for the distribution of the high range frequencys, but what about the sub, is it that important? or can it have a solid front to the door/unit housing it? The sub is a velo CHT15.

Anyone with any experience of this or advise greatly appreciated, this question is holding up the design of the units at the mo.

Thanks

2. SimonO

SimonO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    You'll definately need to have some sort of grille, and make sure the cabinet is VERY solid as the low frequencies will cause all sorts of resonance... Try mounting the sub on high density foam...

If your design of cabinet will look better with a solid door to the sub, try venting the sub cabinet into an adjacent speaker cabinet or something similar...

Don't forget to design in plenty of cooling for the electronics...!