1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help re rptv new to this

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by critch, Sep 29, 2004.

1. critch

critch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hello guys :hiya:
    i am new to this, well only just registered :clap:
    but have been looking over the comments for about 3 months now and very confused and worried i was gonna spend about £900.00 on a rptv a toshiba 42 wh36 or 46
    :eek: but i have read alot of negative comments
    about these re the color and having to get people out to tune them, i dont really want to pay extra to have to get some one to come out (we the missues wont)

are they really worth it and if so what am i better getting
    or am i better off with a 36 inch tv

as i want a bigger tv in the lounge :lease: help me

2. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    Critch,

Welcome to the Forum. :)

Yes, it is confusing, especially when you get conflicting advice!

My personal opinion is to go for a 36" CRT set, as the RP system just cannot compete in terms of brightness, sharpness and viewing angle.

There is also the factor of tube life if it is your main TV.

Having said that, I bet the next post will say exactly the opposite! :devil:

Perhaps your best bet is to find a good dealer (you'll see John Lewis is highly praised on the Forum) and see the comparisons for yourself.

After all, only you will know what's right for you. :lesson:

Good luck! :thumbsup:

3. pipcat

pipcat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Critch - also welcome!

Not to confuse you any more I hope...(!), but ask yourself a couple of other questions. Your answers make help you focus on what is really important to you.

- Do you watch mainly films (DVDs) or TV? I.e. are you more likely to want a 16:9 or 4:3 format TV?
    - Will it be important to you to watch TV in High Definition when it goes mainstream in the next year or so? If so then ensure that the TV you buy will be compatible. Many CRT TVs are not
    - Are you wanting to go for more of the home theatre experience? TVs are getting a lot bigger (especially the Plasma and DLP Rear Projection ones). Will you still be satisfied with a 36" CRT or is the 42, 46" or larger TV your goal?
    - You say your budget is £900. Remember though that you will probably still be looking at this TV in say 7 or 8 years time. Is this an absolutely fixed budget? Next year would you still miss an extra few hundred spent on a TV to bring you to a higher level? You have to decide. If, given the long life time of this product you think you could go up market then look at some of the nice DLP TVs available (Sagem, Samsung etc.)

There are of course many other questions to ask yourself (what sources will you connect? Will you use this for gaming? How important is the size (depth) of the TV?) but I hope this can help your decision process...

4. markymark34

markymark34

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +323
    Yes the next post will disagree!
    I love RPTVs they give you a fantastic sized picture for the money.
    The problem you will have when getting a demo is that they are nearly all set up badly in the shops and so its difficult to see what the picture is really like.

My advice would be to try and find a few local dealers who will be happy to give you the remote and some time to look at the picture and compare.

As the last post said its going to be something you will have to live with for quite a few years so dont rush into something.

Let us know how the demos go!

mark

5. Laurel&Hardy

Laurel&Hardy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd say get a demo. My view is this:

CRT advantages: Best picture quality of all formats so far, wide viewing angle, very reliable, most good ones will last 10 years if looked after.

CRT disadvantages: Affected by the earths magnetic field, geometry/convergence/purity can be poor on large sets.

PJTV advantages: Very large picture for the money, the best ones have amazing picture quality, potentially very good on geometry.

PJTV disadvantages: Very sweet spot dependent, off axis viewing is very poor, CRT's will develop screen burn within hours if abused, require a fair bit of tweaking to get the best out of them, physically very large (!), screen is fragile and marks easily.

If you get a tosh RPTV get the WH36, it is a better TV than the '46. But if you are of a mind that spending time tweaking your set (RPTV's do need the convergence regularly tweaked) is not your cup of tea then maybe RPTV is not for you. If that is the case then a 36" from any of the major brands would probably be a better bet.

6. blossom

blossom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I echo the last two posts. My 42wh36 is still the dogs conkers, even though the on/off button is still jammed in.

Get a wh36 series and you won't be disappointed.

Cheers

Paul

7. critch

critch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    mmmm okay alot to think about there, i not that bothered about tv going mainstream, cos always watch tv through sky anywhey, but do watch alot of dvds
    but how are rptvs with computer games ? worried about the burn factor

8. critch

critch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    mm egnore as above ive just found my answer ;-)